So I've read thru lots of the hotspot and wifi post, but still not entirely ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rbktouhey no está en línea Stack level 1

Post Wifi calling and browsing on 8320 ?

Advertisement

So I've read thru lots of the hotspot and wifi post, but still not entirely clear on what to expect.

I have a data plan, thru TMo.
    I dont' have my faves or hotspot.
    I dont' get any coverage at home.
    I want web and voice services at home.
    I don't care if I use calling minutes when at home (via wifi).

If I get a 8320/8120, wifi enabled BB, can I browse the web and make calls ?
    How does the network know i'm on wifi rather than tower network ?
    Hate a beat a dead horse, but I don't want to blow couple hundred bucks on a phone then have to upgrade my plan...

D
    Last edited by rbktouhey; 09-12-2008 at 11:33 AM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    With a data plan and a wi-fi phone you should be able to browse some if not all of the internet without a problem. I do it withOUT a data plan on the 8120 using wi-fi and some of the applications/features don't work - the ones that require a data plan, like Google, Jivetalk, etc. but Opera works, Pinstack loader works, etc.

I actually think ALL your funtions will work via wi-fi since you DO have a data plan, even though you don't have actual coverage in your home.

Experts - agree or not?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    I dont' have my faves or hotspot.

Get hotspot@home

I dont' get any coverage at home.

Get hotspot@home

I want web and voice services at home.

Get hotspot@home

I don't care if I use calling minutes when at home (via wifi).

Get hotspot@home.

If I get a 8320/8120, wifi enabled BB, can I browse the web and make calls ?

Yes, with hotspot@home.

How does the network know i'm on wifi rather than tower network ?

Same way a thermos knows whether to keep your drink hot or cold.

Hate a beat a dead horse, but I don't want to blow couple hundred bucks on a phone then have to upgrade my plan...

I'm far from an expert, but I have been very satisfied with my first BB, the Curve 8320, and hotspot@home. I had purchased an iPhone, and returned it after I came home to find I had no service in my apartment except on the windowsill. Hotspot had just been introduced, so I returned the iPhbone and signed up with T-mo. I have no land line.

After a few hiccups in the beginning, my UMA Curve and hotspot are working flawlessly. I finally changed the channel on my router (T-mo branded D-Link) and upgraded the firmware. I now always have the full three sets of parenthesis around the signal tower icon, and call quality is excellent. My Logitech mouse (radio, not BT) may have been causing interference.

Just the other day, I participated in a conference call with around half a dozen people around the country. No problems, even using a Jabra BT 500 during the call.

Although I loaded music and movies on my iPhone and thought it was cool, I now think I have found the device for me. Fact is I don't listen to music while walking down the street, and when I am in a place where I might want to watch a movie, I'll have my laptop.

I also use Mapquest Navigator every night, and have well over a hundred business contact addresses entered which I can search, select, and then drive to from the Navigator application. My first gps (bought a Holux puck), and I still am amazed. Voice prompts! The Pearl version is not released yet to my knowledge.

Edit: Now that I reread your post maybe I misinterpreted it. If you have a UMA equipped phone, (and an internet connection and router of course), you will be able to make calls over wifi and access data without hotspot@home, but minutes will be charged.
    Last edited by galavanter; 09-17-2008 at 05:09 PM.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    all true galavanter...quite funny too :P

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ah, that's interesting - you have to take their hotspot (WAP) in order to have the service - interesting. (bit of a shame as better ones are available).

All services on a BB work over wifi. (when it comes to how it knows - you have to have the wifi connection in your blackberry for it to negotiate). Then, in things like your mobile network settings you have wifi preferred selected. (in the case of UMA, this keeps your cell calls over wifi rather than on the cellular radio).

The device has a preference for wifi if it's there (as virtually no-one has a truly unlimited data plan).

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    Ah, that's interesting - you have to take their hotspot (WAP) in order to have the service - interesting. (bit of a shame as better ones are available).

All services on a BB work over wifi. (when it comes to how it knows - you have to have the wifi connection in your blackberry for it to negotiate). Then, in things like your mobile network settings you have wifi preferred selected. (in the case of UMA, this keeps your cell calls over wifi rather than on the cellular radio).

The device has a preference for wifi if it's there (as virtually no-one has a truly unlimited data plan).
    Hot Spot @ Home is a "service", not hardware.

You can use about any router. T-Mobile just happens to have one that they "suggest".

If you subscribe to HS@H then you get unlimited calls.

I have unlimited internet/e-mail package. Not sure where you came up with no one having that....

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Unlimited voice/data for wifi, but do they also give you unlimited cellular voice/data?

(if they do, that's quite the deal) - and I wonder if there isn't a real limit in fine print somewhere.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Unlimited voice/data for wifi, but do they also give you unlimited cellular voice/data?

(if they do, that's quite the deal) - and I wonder if there isn't a real limit in fine print somewhere.
    I haven't seen T-Mobile put a limit on their unlimited plans (unlike some others) yet. They do offer unlimited cellular voice and data on the $99.99 plan plus BIS or BES service (depends on your situation). With the BIS/BES add-on you would be looking at unlimited everything (voice, text, picture, video, im, data, tethering, etc....) on your blackberry over either the cellular network or wi-fi.

Zo

Blkbear no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24838a6c

What happens with the HotSpot@Home (called Unlimited Hotspot Calling here in the Seattle area), that while on UMA your calls will not be deducted from your plan mins. So if you have are using Wifi at home, work, school or out and about at a coffee shop or internet cafe, any calls you make are in a sense free calls, leaving your plan mins for those times you do not have WiFi access.

So in my case I have the Unlimted HS calling, and 600 mins a month + the unlimited BB Data plan.
    Da Bear