So I noticed at work I have a weak cell signal and a great wifi ... BlackBerry Curve forum

marine12001 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Wifi And GSM Handoff Issues **fix**

Advertisement

So I noticed at work I have a weak cell signal and a great wifi signal. My phone was constantly getting a SOS on the hand off. I tried everything from making the netowork the priority vice versa. I was having to shut down the netowrk service and use my wifi only at work. You can see how this simple task can be annoying.

I called my t-mobile rep and got a hold on some engineers. This is a known problem within the handoff script. The only known method is to adjust the threshold settings on your phone, and unless you have a BES server your out of luck until the new script comes out.

So if you have a BES server here are the setting you need to adjust to fix this issue. I basically set the threshold to very low and high accordingly. Pushed the profile to my device and bingo no more SOS on the handoff. I was about to trash my curve until I found these settings. Now I can walk through my wilress ap's and watch the hand off work to perfection. If you have any questions please email me at aj@dcshoes.com and i'd be happy to assist. I have included a .pdf and .doc to assist.

GAN WLAN Threshold
    Specify the WLAN signal quality threshold for changing from GAN to WAN. If the WLAN signal quality drops below this threshold in GAN-preferred mode, then the BlackBerry device tries to hand over or changing to the WAN, if an acceptable cell is available.

[

If you do not specify a value for this setting, the BlackBerry device chooses a suitable value (possibly specified by the mobile network provider).
    Possible values are as follows:
    Use GAN mode unless the Wi-Fi® signal quality is very low.
    Use GAN mode if the Wi-Fi signal quality is high or medium.
    Use GAN mode only if the Wi-Fi signal quality is high.

GAN Signal Strength Threshold
    Specify the signal strength threshold for rove-in from WAN to GAN.

In WAN-preferred mode, if the signal strength of the serving cell drops below this value, the BlackBerry device uses the GAN cell, if one is available.
    This value is specified in RXLEV units, described in 3GPP 5.08 8.1.4:

0: -111 dBm
    •63: -48 dBm

If you do not specify a value for this setting, the BlackBerry device chooses a suitable value (possibly specified by the mobile network provider).
    GAN Signal Quality Threshold
    Specify the signal quality threshold for handover from WAN to GAN.

[

In WAN-preferred mode, if the signal quality drops below this level, the BlackBerry device tries a handover to GAN, if possible. The signal quality is related to bit error rate and is described in 3GPP 5.08 8.2.4:

•0: good quality
    •7: worst quality

Attached Files Attached Files

rachaelp no está en línea Stack level 3
    Happy it worked for you. I am on BIS... They know there is a problem, but are stalling people right now instead of swapping out hardware. I have been on with T-Mob too many times lately for it to be anything else.

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    decided to go ahead and try this
    Last edited by wassona; 06-06-2008 at 01:49 PM.