I have the 8320 but don't have a data plan.. so I'm wondering how do ... BlackBerry Curve forum

adriii no está en línea Stack level 2

wifi

Advertisement

I have the 8320 but don't have a data plan.. so I'm wondering how do I know when I am using wifi and when I am not because i do not want to get charged for using the internet. The wifi icon is always on the top right side and I havent seen it change colors or anything so I dont know when I'm using it and when I'm not. And also- does the data services need to be on for wifi to work? Thanks so much!

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    yes you need a data plan. the wi-fi will not work on a bb without the data plan
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX View Post
    If you look at it that way, we are paying for the so called "free wifi calling".

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    The wifi calling will work (it is known as UMA) without a data plan but he is talking about the internet. The UMA is not "free wifi calling". It is VOIP calling from a cell phone which if you have the added Talk Forever@mobile option added to your plan gives you unlimited minutes for UMA calls otherwise it comes out of your regular minutes.

Zo

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX View Post

THis is actually not ture, If you have WIFI, you can browse the net or make calls on WIFI with out a data plan, With TMO there is an BB Enabler that allows you enough Data to be able to send MMS, this is at no cost other then the MMS. It also alows you to get to T-zones. Once you have the browser ICON, you can browse anywhere using the browser over WIFI. With out a data plan.
    Last edited by pda.teck; 04-22-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Spelling ALWAYS Spelling
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    The wifi calling will work (it is known as UMA) without a data plan but he is talking about the internet. The UMA is not "free wifi calling". It is VOIP calling from a cell phone which if you have the added Talk Forever@mobile option added to your plan gives you unlimited minutes for UMA calls otherwise it comes out of your regular minutes.

Zo
    This is correct except that UMA is not true VoIP. it is simalar but is not braded the same, T-mobile Reps are not even supposed to mention VoIP. All the billing info is quite right.
    Last edited by pda.teck; 04-22-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling ALWAYS Spelling, and it prolly still ain't right LOL
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")