When I scan for networks at home, my 8900 on tmo finds my home router ... BlackBerry Curve forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

wi fi set up issues

Advertisement

When I scan for networks at home, my 8900 on tmo finds my home router just fine. Its secured with a key but instead of asking for a key, my device propts me to enter a bberry generated number into the router. What's up with that and how can I connect?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Have you tried to manually set up the Wi Fi on your BB? What kind of key is the router encrypted with also? WEP, WPA?
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I've set up wi-fi at home on a number of BB's including the 8900 and I've never been asked to replace the key on my router with a BB number. After you find the signal and select connect it should simply ask you to enter the key that's on the router. Possible you have some setting wrong on the BB but not sure what to suggest.

It's usually a very simple procedure. I assume that you can connect via wi-fi from a p-c without problems.(?)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I agree. I have never seen this. Pc connects fine and its secured with wpa.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    What type of router is it? My Linksys from T-Mo has a single button on the side I can press when I enter the Wi-Fi setup on my 8900 that syncs the two up.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

it is a Cisco router. I have set up up other smartphones with it an have never seen this.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Check the options in the 8900's Wi-Fi settings and see what the "Security Type" is set to.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

loouloou no está en línea Stack level 1
    Your router has a feature called "Wi Fi Protected Mode". When you try to connect your 8900 to your home wireless network, it says your router supports this features and then tells you to enter the pin generated on the BB device into your router.

I tried it. I could not get a connection. I disabled "Wi Fi Protected Mode" under the Advanced features of the router and was then able to connect the BB by enter the normal WEP security key.
    Jamie

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by loouloou View Post
    Your router has a feature called "Wi Fi Protected Mode". When you try to connect your 8900 to your home wireless network, it says your router supports this features and then tells you to enter the pin generated on the BB device into your router.

I tried it. I could not get a connection. I disabled "Wi Fi Protected Mode" under the Advanced features of the router and was then able to connect the BB by enter the normal WEP security key.
    Now if you saved the device properties in the router profile, you should be able to enable WiFi protected mode again. The BB should still work on WiFi. If not, use the add a device wizard with the router, that should solve all your problems.