I've been playing with my new Curve the past couple of days and my aging ... BlackBerry Curve forum

WhyZeeGuy no está en línea Stack level 1

Why WiFi?

Advertisement

I've been playing with my new Curve the past couple of days and my aging eyes really appreciate the increased screen size. I loved my Pearl but if I did not have my reading glass I could not read emails, the Curve is the fix for that......

My question has to do with WiFi. I've setup the WiFi connection and played around with it a little bit but for the life of me I cannot seem to figure out any practical reason to use WiFi on my smartphone. Can some explain the benefits of WiFi on my phone?

I have a high speed EVDO card for my laptop so connecting the BB 8300 as a modem is a step backwards.

I'm just at a loss as to what benefit the WiFi capability gives me.

plaidissimo no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Why WiFi?

If you have to ask then you don't need it. jk. I've got the wifi hooked up at my house. Its a bit faster for chat and web browsing. Thats about it for me. The main benefits would be if you had the h@h service. Wifi gives you basically unlimited calling. Only with h@h though. Otherwise wifi still uses minutes. I didn't bother with it though because I never go over my minutes anyway and have pretty good cell coverage wherever I go. I'm sure theres a few other reasons its handy but those are the main ones that stick out to me.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

There are many who are getting free WIFI calls on there Curves... the increased web browsing speeds are bonus enough for me...

try downloading a new mp3 file on your Curve... wifi speed blows away EDGE speeds during these activiites -

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

XBGM3R no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDEFC

WhyZeeGuy Whoa! Wait a min, which one of 8300 or 8320 you currently using?

Whatever T-Mobile is shipping. I guess its the 8320?

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

i use wifi with h@h because i live in a very rural area... the cell towers are so far apart that i have almost no reliable service. wifi with, or even without h@h, makes this package a perfect one for my situation.

also, anywhere in the world i go that has wifi, i can make unlimited calls to US numbers.

Okay, thank you for your responses. Sometimes the blatantly obvious escapes me so I have to turn to you guys for help.

My company pays the cell bill so minutes used are not an issue. I live in an area that has Verizon FiOS and VoIP so calling from home is easy. I thought maybe Skype would have a client for the BlackBerry but then considering all the complexity it is easier just to use the VoIP service.

I get all my music from from garage sale & personal CD's and ripping them so my PC is the main music/media manager. This does bring up another question about how the Curve handles the libraries, but I'll post that in another thread.

Thanks for you replies.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Like I've said before, to me WiFi to me is a God send because the connection in my area is just horrible, I mean I freaquently drop my EDGE to SOS more than 10x a day! WiFi truly is a life saver