Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know Curve owners have resigned themselves to taking their units apart just to change ... BlackBerry Curve forum

PoliceDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Why no external card access?

Advertisement

I know Curve owners have resigned themselves to taking their units apart just to change their SD cards (hence the quest for ever-larger cpacity cards), but has anyone actually tracked someone down at RIM for an "official" explanation as to why the Curve was designed this way?

The entire concept of memory cards is based on their interchangeability and the current setup is just assinine.

If this hasn't beem researched, I'd be happy to take on the job of calling RIM in Waterloo and asking for an explanation. I speak Canajun, eh!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Why no external card access?

You don't have to take apart your Curve to change your SD card. It is located beneath the battery
    and is relatively simple to get to. I agree that external access would be much more simple, but most
    members agree that how often would we actually take out the card? I know I don't.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Quote Originally Posted by lavagirl
    You don't have to take apart your Curve to change your SD card. It is located beneath the battery
    and is relatively simple to get to. I agree that external access would be much more simple, but most
    members agree that how often would we actually take out the card? I know I don't.
    True and nowadays, no one is going to buy a bunch of 128 or 512 cards to keep switching, I mean really a 2g card can hold an awful lot of pics and songs, and if it gets to be to much just remove them during your next sync...

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

It was done probably in the name of security (for corporate customers). A card that's harder to remove, makes it a little harder for a thief or spy to steal. Although this is hardly any realy security at all.

This is just my guess.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

I think it just comes down to space. Remember, this is a whole new line of blackberries.. the first full qwerty, light weight, camera having bb. When they started developing they probably based case to work with all 3 versions (8300/10/20). RIM said itself that there was no wifi/gps combo because there just wasn't enough room. They tend to have the approach of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..eventually just improve upon it". Outside of a few of us who are more tech savy and like to encode movies, music, etc. most users just want to play mp3s (if they use the media at all). I know quite a few pearl/curve owners (friends and coworkers.. I pitched to boss to switch over to Cingular and company went) and most don't even have a memory card.

I'm sure they'll add it eventually as they develop down the line, but I have a feeling it isn't exactly a make-or-break in anyones purchase.. look at Apple's sales, lol.

I guess you don't miss what you've never had. I would agree that security and form factor are the two main reasons that there is no external slot (and they make two very good rationalizations).

But I sure do miss having one card with 8 movies on them, a card with 16 radio commercials sent to me as MP3 files that I can review on the flight, a card with a thousand of my favorite tunes, a card with a movie script to edit, a card with hi-res games, and a card with a few hundred photographs from the last cattle call. I can pop them in and out with ease - and then hand them over to someone with a basic card reader when I reach my destination. It's a bit of a stretch to do all of that with my 4GB mSD card.

Bring on those 32 giggers!

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja
    ....I'm sure they'll add it eventually as they develop down the line, but I have a feeling it isn't exactly a make-or-break in anyones purchase..
    You're absolutely right, on several counts. That's why I switched back to a Blackberry (this Curve is my third BB) instead of going to the next Treo. When my daughter and her friends are buying Pearls instead of the latest gaming/music/texting/video cellphone ("Gee, you can use it as a PHONE?") you know which way the wind is blowing.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I really want the external card...I may have to go the way of the treo just to have the removeable slot

Dream Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

It appears that Rim is taking note of users desire for external access to the media card. The next generation Pearl is reportedly going to have an external media card. I would imagine that the other models will follow suit in time.
    Last edited by Dream Rider; 08-19-2007 at 02:35 AM.
    If you're going to dream - Dream Large!

johel no está en línea Stack level 1

The external card slot is way better.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by johel
    The external card slot is way better.
    Not necessarily. Depends on your local environment.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Not necessarily. Depends on your local environment.

Rcbjr.
    Actually, it depends on why you want/need it. (see my reasons above)

I haven't even opened the thread about "Professional" vs. "Non-professional" users but when you see threads about "Show off your wallpapers" and "Let's hear your cutest ringtones" you can see which market RIM is now responding to. Even as an old-fart, original Blackberry RIM-957 user, I don't have a problem with that.

(I say that RIM will produce the 2nd or 3rd generation Curve with an external memory card slot. If you want to bet against me, you're covered. )

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by sashadelgado
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I really want the external card...I may have to go the way of the treo just to have the removeable slot
    i'm curious what function you require it in that it would be such a make-or-break?? to me it'd be nice, but to switch phones over it.. I can't imagine a case. feed my curiousity!

trickynick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20D2CA11

a few years ago when the largest capacity cards were 512mb i had one stollen from my palm pilot. taken right off of my desk and i worked in a vault. i actually prefer having the card under the battery but thats just me...

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja
    i'm curious what function you require it in that it would be such a make-or-break?? to me it'd be nice, but to switch phones over it.. I can't imagine a case. feed my curiousity!
    I'm just guessing here but there might be a "wink" emoticon missing from that response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast