Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There is my answer. I have the stock os on the bold and haven't upgraded. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5

Advertisement

There is my answer. I have the stock os on the bold and haven't upgraded.
    I will upgrade it and try again. That speedtest for uma was Bad
    I get close to 5,000kb/s
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by pcwizpcwiz View Post
    This is very odd, my Tmobile 8900 smokes the 3G blackberry Bold on ATT 3G speed. My phone was set to Edge not Wifi. At Wifi I get close to 5Mb/s

Apr 02 21:50:35 (later at night no congestion)

Here are the Speedtest results for ATT 3G Blackberry:
    Connection Type: Carrier
    Avg. Download Speed: 234.33Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 281.17Kbits/s
    Avg. Upload Speed: 24.23Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 55.74Kbits/s

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry 8900 Tmobile Edge:
    Avg. Download Speed: 325.72Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 342.48Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 58.95Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 79.87Kbits/s

Visit Xtreme Labs website at:
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.xtremelabs.com/apps[/FONT]
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffNNJ View Post
    I have no idea about speed tests but I can tell you that I didn't think my 3G Bold was any faster then the EDGE on my 8320.
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    depends on whre you are, did you know that tmobile has 3g coverage already in some cities, mostly of the phones only shows EDGE but they are in a 3g coverage and thats why it makes it faster
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Also, EDGE officially is a max of 120kbits I believe...
    the tmobile rep, told me something different last time, but who knows?
    [/QUOTE]

Ok so here is a little crash course in cell networks. It is probably more then you ever wanted to know and really does not matter all that much but here goes....

2g networks ie EDGE run generally upto 144 kbps. On the tower side/switch side each person on that tower gets a different time slot. In this way nothing gets lost, dropped or crossed. (or at least shouldn't but it does on occasion happen) Signal, and more improtantly connection speed depend on proximity to the tower and signal strength the phone is recieving from the tower.

3g networks are a little bit different. Instead of time slots for each person on the tower everyone is in the same "room" so to speak , talking all at the same time. The trick that the tower does to make sure that the conversations and data do not get crossed is it makes everyone speak in different languages. So one guy speaks English, one Spanish, one French etc and sends the signal out to the other party you are speaking with and the tower on thier end translates for the recieving party. Now because of this fact it gets extremely "loud" on that tower/switch. They call it network chatter. (appropriately) The more chatter there is the lower the signal strength and the connection will get. (not specifically in that order) So on a 3g network speeds and quality depend not only on proximity to the tower, and signal given out but also the amount of people on that 3g tower.

Hope it clearifies and makes sense.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yeah, that sorta makes sense, and the documented speed tests make sense too. It basically confirms what I already know about 3g vs EDGE and that is that EDGE will download from the web as fast as ATT and Roger's 3g using a Bold device. That's been documented by people who have 2 Bolds side by side, one running 3g and one running EDGE (Rogers Bolds allow you to turn 3g off and run EDGE, the ATT Bolds don't allow this. But many people use the Rogers Bold unlocked on ATT because it came out first). They have posted that they can download faster on EDGE. Now ATT people won't like hearing that and they'll dispute that. ATT beats the 3g drum hard on TV in order to sell you their service and someday I hope it'll be faster than it is today. Their 3g may indeed be faster in some cities with other branded phones, but the facts are the facts and Blackberry devices running today on 3g with ATT (and Verizon, using Storms, it's been done with them too), you don't give up any download speed if you run EDGE on Tmobile or ATT either. Makes me feel better anyway
    Last edited by TheBigNewt; 04-04-2009 at 04:58 PM.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pcwizpcwiz View Post
    There is my answer. I have the stock os on the bold and haven't upgraded.
    I will upgrade it and try again. That speedtest for uma was Bad
    I get close to 5,000kb/s
    Any suggestions on how I could improve it? Is it my internet provider? My router settings?

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    Apr 05 00:38:16

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry:

Avg. Download Speed: 42.9Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 65.89Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 25.22Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 74.85Kbits/s

Seems rather slow to me...