I am getting a new berry and the curve is probably my choice, and I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

MAXSquared no está en línea Stack level 3

why do we need wifi on our mobile?

Advertisement

I am getting a new berry and the curve is probably my choice, and I am not sure if 8310 is better or 8320, personally I think the GPS is very useful on my current 8800, but you sure can get a GPS receiver cheap from anywhere. And people keep going on about wifi on a blackberry, what's good about them? what can you do with them? I know in the UK there is no network supports UMA.

Thanks.

th577 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: why do we need wifi on our mobile?

Voip!!!

spkack no está en línea Stack level 1

Yes, VOIP is the biggie for people, but if you are near a free WiFi hotspot, you can also connect to the Internet via WiFi and possibly save on data charges to your blackberry account.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Two things. Money savings (be it either in calling charges, ie VOIP, or in data charges, which may be moot point with unlimited data plan) and versatility, as in you can alwaysa add a GPS puck, btu there is now way to add a wifi capability (at least at this time, may be possbile in the future if someone makes a microSD or USB driven wifi card) and in the future more people will be adding UMA capabilites hopefully, so it is future proof at the moment (at least as much as any device can be as they are all outdated when they are released).

USArmyWife no está en línea Stack level 3

i dont get reception at my house... so i HAVE to have wifi to make and receive calls...
    I'm a Pirate Ninja !

PIN: 24082565

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D

I personally love connecting to wifi to use the net. I don't even use it for calls. Everywhere I go I look for a connection, very useful.

MAXSquared no está en línea Stack level 3

But I have unlimited bis plan, also, I can't use voip with my current network O2, then UMA is not available. so I don't think wifi is useful for me.

Thanks for everyone's input though

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by MAXSquared View Post
    But I have unlimited bis plan, also, I can't use voip with my current network O2, then UMA is not available. so I don't think wifi is useful for me.

Thanks for everyone's input though
    Yes but then you have to ask yourself, will I use GPS and in the near future will they offer UMA service, as this gives you some bit of future proof ability with the wifi, if you will never use the GPS. Might not be a big deal for you, if you upgrade alot, but if you are one that is counting on some type of provider discount and are getting locked into a 2 year agreement, lots of things can happen in 2 years. Food for thought, which is going to be the most useful for the future for you, only you can answer that.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    lots of things can happen in 2 years
    Like hopefully a 3G GSM BB that will make WiFi moot.