Makes me wonder if BB are such a good phone, why do most networks do ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mic8310 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25588d8d

Why are they free? (in the UK anyway at least)

Advertisement

Makes me wonder if BB are such a good phone, why do most networks do them for free? even the newer ones. Is there a reason for it? all the latest ones like the N95 cost hundreds to upgrade, ok it might have a better camera but surely a BB has more features to it

mic

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    To tie you into a contract...they are excellent phones, and if you can get it for free that is great!
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ From the family I have on the other side of the pond the BB plans are very expensive. I guess the BBs are free as they make lots on the monthly fees.
    In the US the plans are a bit less, and often include unlimited data. Hence we usually have to pay for the BBs.

That's my two cents.

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by melissaox View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ From the family I have on the other side of the pond the BB plans are very expensive. I guess the BBs are free as they make lots on the monthly fees.
    In the US the plans are a bit less, and often include unlimited data. Hence we usually have to pay for the BBs.

That's my two cents.
    *g* A bit less... That's a good joke. Here in Germany I pay for my contract 22 Euro without any minutes and text. 5 Euro for the BB-BIS and 20 Euro for 200MB Data. And that's 47 Euro without tax! With tax it is around 56 Euros. And if I look on the TMO US HP and see the prices for the BB-Service there I'm a little bit jealous. 1500 Min + unlim. Text and Data for round 75$. Hmmm... That's a price I could live with. But on the other hand the phones are cheaper as in the US.

My 2ct
    Peter

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Over a year or two, they definitely recoup the cost of the phone. And you also have to remember that the carrier gets a discount on the handsets from the manufacturer. That "price without a contract" is way higher than whatever they paid for the hardware.