Let's say you're in a situation where you don't have access to a charger or ... BlackBerry Curve forum

QYV
    QYV no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23d492cc

which takes more power? carrier or wifi

Advertisement

Let's say you're in a situation where you don't have access to a charger or USB cable and you want to stretch your battery life as long as possible. Let's also say you're at a friend's apartment or other place where they have Wifi.

Which option is going to stretch your battery life longer? turning Wifi off and running just on the carrier network, or the opposite... turn carrier off and run just on the local wifi?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I would think running on wifi would use less power because of the distance to the signal but I honestly don't have any data to back that up. That is a very good question though.......

Zo

QYV
    PIN/ID
    23d492cc
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    I would think running on wifi would use less power because of the distance to the signal but I honestly don't have any data to back that up. That is a very good question though.......

Zo
    That's what I was thinking too but like you have no data to back it up and am hoping some of the techies around here can come up with some hard data

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    On my own experience and just my experience I have seen more batt consumption when using carrier netw.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    I remembered seeing this article a while ago. And here's the RIM document about it. So it does seem that wi-fi takes more battery power than carrier.

Not very scientific, but I've also noticed this on my wi-fi berries, that the battery lasts longer when I'm not using wi-fi.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

angelzrage no está en línea Stack level 3
    My 8320 and 8820 lasted MUCH longer ON wifi(uma) hands down. My 8900 battery dies real quick regardless what I'm on tho

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Battery life is inverse proportional to signal strength. A strong signal let's your device radio consume less power to operate. Choose whichever is best signal strength.

QYV
    PIN/ID
    23d492cc
    not trying to devalue anybody's input so far, but do we have anybody that can provide any concrete data on this? Do appreciate the linked articles, but that wasn't exactly what I was asking.
    Naturally turning on the wifi and running both carrier and wifi radios will drain the battery faster, what I was asking is if you have the option for both, turning off which radio will maximize your remaining battery time?

Will the battery last longer if you turn off wifi and run only carrier, or turn carrier off and run only wifi?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    http://www.smartdevicecentral.com/ar.../215974_1.aspx

Not exactly scientific but he does at least provide some hard numbers.

Zo

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by angelzrage View Post
    My 8320 and 8820 lasted MUCH longer ON wifi(uma) hands down. My 8900 battery dies real quick regardless what I'm on tho
    I turn the gps off on my 8900 and that seems to help with battery life.

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    I've wondered this myself...
    Facebook
    MySpace
    Personal: 8900 4.6.1.250
    Work: 8330 4.5.0.160

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    It all depends on your situation.

If you have a good signal with your carrier then it shouldn't take up much power. If the signal is weak and it has to constantly searching to get the signal then it will drain the battery pretty quickly.

As for Wifi it's obviously going to take some power to run this and the same circumstances apply if it's searching for connections.

I run both constantly and my battery lasts through out the day. Although it doesn't get much use when I'm at work.

If you're wanting to save your battery just run one or the other. I'm pretty sure that both pretty much take the same amount of power from the battery or at least the difference it minimal. Keep in mind your usage of the device weighs in heavily when power consumption is involved.

blkbryadict no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would have to say that it would take more power to use the cell tower only because it has to boost the gain the internal antenna to reach the cell tower, whereas the WiFi access point is usually ALOT closer.

QYV
    PIN/ID
    23d492cc
    I was thinking basically what reddog said that it seems logical that turning off carrier and running local wifi should stretch battery life longer, I just wondered if anybody had actually done or seen any experiments... I might have to myself

That article that Amigotech linked however makes me wonder.. granted it's about the 8320 and not the 8900 but their benchmark talk time was an hour LESS on wifi. interesting!

pdxmatts, casually glancing around the options I don't see a blatant on/off for the GPS... is there some setting you're referring to that can toggle the GPS radio on/off easily?

blacktouch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    http://www.smartdevicecentral.com/ar.../215974_1.aspx

Not exactly scientific but he does at least provide some hard numbers.

Zo
    i don't think those numbers are accurate, 9 hours of talk time?