View Poll Results: Which Curve is the Best?

Voters
621. Register free to vote on this poll

229 36.88%

82 13.20%

310 49.92%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

You didn't say comparing the iphone and the BB platform (which once again isn't fair ... BlackBerry Curve forum

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Which Curve is the best?

Advertisement

You didn't say comparing the iphone and the BB platform (which once again isn't fair as the BBs go through the RIM proxy so their packets are smaller and stripped down to be more streamlined). I just went by your statement that wifi is slow just ask anytone that has an iphone (and those that do have them see faster speeds than they see on edge which is what I was referring to).
    I also didn't say that the testers would have a slow ISP to purposely skew the data (you put those words into my statements). What I said is they purposely didn't include the trace info (and that may have skewed the data) by not including that data. Even the fastest connections in the world do not go directly to where they are trying to connect to, they will still have a number of hops and my questions was how many did they have (leaving this info out makes the data biased, as a good review site would repeat this same test numerous times and at different times and through different connections to eliminate the possibilty of this being a factor). This seems to be a oone shot deal and not really a scientific comparison. heck if they were in NY like you are and the service is so bad there this could also skew the data, as I have seen some claim that one device sunds better or worse than another yet they were on different networks, does that seem like a fair review (like when the curve was compared to the dash, those same reviewers were comparing the sound quality with one device on T-Mo and a different device on AT$T. They created too many variables so not a fair comparison, and they gave the nod in certain departments as the device could do this function, that people who have the device state doesn't work reliably and most of the time not at all, but they gave that device the nod for having the possibility of being able to do something, that is not a fair review that is wishful thinking as they even stated they couldn;t get it to work).
    I also don't believe that they tranferred 4GB of data in just over 4 minutes. I couldn't get that type of throughput using USB2.0 and my card reader to do a direct transfer of files to my media card (nor could any of my friends) and it took longer than that across my home network (so someone messed up those data figures). How was this data trasnferred, over usb or are they claiming to have transferred that over the data of the network? This is interesting and I would like to read more.

I also didn't say that best case scenerios should be used, just that for good test results to be achieved that the connections should be comparable, otherwise the data is skewed. This is a scientific fact, look to the drug companies and they don't tel the one group they are the test group or taking a placebo. otherwise they have influenced the outcomes and the data can not be trusted (that is waht I am saying). This is not an independent cretified tech review site either (they have sponsors therefor they do have obligatrions to the sponsors whomever they may be (so don't come back and make a claim that I am trying to say AT$T paid them to find them better, as that is not what I am saying, just that they are not a scientific independant lab, but a sponsored tech that is no more trained than you are I, and yes I am a certified tech by trade).
    I actually have T-Mo but since they aren't in my state I either roam 100% on AT$T or Suncom, since T-Mo has free roaming, I can't comment on your friends as there must not be roaming agreements in your area, but for me price is everything (and like you I would go back to Verizon before going back to AT$T (their customer service is the worst, have something go wrong with your device and have them tell you that they won't warrant it as it is user defect and if you send the device in they will charge you full price, yet exchange with a refurb, and that has happened to me, my wife, and lots of friends I have that have also left AT$T). AT$T claims that is the insurance company and not them, but every other carrier uses the same insurer in my area and they will all insure any device they have not just the devices that are under $50 brand new (as AT$T seems to be able to only insure). I have also had the experience with AT$T 3G sservice and got even worse results with it than your friends with T-Mo (which is why I left AT$T, as they claim it was not their fault, but when my company gave out 500 of the same device, I had mine first, and recalled all 500 as they could not complete calls and dropped calls all of the time due to handoff issues, that tells me it is a network issue, but AT$T claimed it was user error, go figure that 500 different users all had the same problem, talk about head in the sand theory,,Wake up AT$T).

sergioe no está en línea Stack level 1

Yup...i say add one more point for the 8310!...Just lovin' the GPS feature

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

8320.. well i dont knnow the difference really myy vote doesnt count lol

it doesnt matter WERE ALL BB USERS thus making 8300 8310 8320 exceptional in every way. hahaha
    Last edited by xtasyboi_00; 12-07-2007 at 05:28 AM.

sgtdisturbed47 no está en línea Stack level 3

The 8320 sounds a bit more useful if you are concerned about minutes used or if you don't get normal reception in your house/office, and for road-warriors, the GPS of the 8310 is a nice feature to have, but for someone like me, I would prefer the 8320 for internet that is a bit faster and to safe on minutes. I don't need GPS, I have at Thomas Guide lol

sgtdisturbed47 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    price. yes tmo is cheaper. great. the service isn't all that great though. i would rather pay a little more and actually be able to use my phone when i want to than save some money and not have service. and again, i know people on tmo and they are always complaining about call quality being poor and lack of service. great they have good customer service and cheap prices, but that comes with a price.
    That's a pretty rough generalization. I don't know anyone in MY area that has ever had problems with T-Mobile, including myself. I have been using t-mobile for about 5 years, my first phone being an old Nokia brick with the pull-out antenna, and shortly thereafter a Nokia 3595 (which I still own, which still works great, and still works on the network), and started out on prepaid. In 5 years, I have had a TOTAL of 10 dropped calls, none of which occurred while using my Pearl. I have yet to hit a "black hole" in the places I go. I had Sprint for 2 out of 5 of those years, but always had my T-Mobile pre-paid Nokia during this time and my prepaid Nokia ALWAYS had better call quality, reception, and coverage than Sprint. Well, that's unfair. Sprint is horrible, period.

I decided after my battle with Sprint service that I would get a contract with T-Mobile. Not for the phone, but to show my support for their excellent service (with calls and customer service). I bought my Pearl off of eBay for $200 and had it activated at a local T-Mobile store. I wouldn't feel, well, right if I signed a contract to get a deal on a phone because I feel that I owe them for the above-average service I have been getting. They have served me so well.

My younger sister once swore that Cingular was the best, but as soon as it was ate by AT&T, one in 5 of her calls, just to me, are dropped on her end, due to network overload AND she is on a 3G phone (Blackjack) and not in only one location. This same issue used to happen on her Samsung Sync as well, but more frequently. Just the other day I sat and listened to her using her speaker phone and heard the horrendous call quality. It sounded like a garbled robot, on and off speaker phone. I have never heard such poor quality over a cell phone, not even on my Sprint flip-phone (LG PM-225).

And Verizon isn't spectacular neither. My landlord, her husband, her son and her son's wife all use Verizon and they have constant issues. Calls not being received, calls dropped, black holes, and the rather annoying echo.

So, me being in their same area (Torrance, which is 20 miles south of Los Angeles), I am getting better service than AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon.

Granted, that is just in my area, and there may be places where T-Mobile service and call quality are less than average, but making such a blunt generalization that t-mobile doesn't have good service is just plain inaccurate. It would make more sense to say that the service we receive depends more on the location than the service provider. Now, IF AT&T were better than T-Mobile in my area, then I would be saying great things about them but since I am not personally experiencing that, I cannot say so.

According to Consumer Reports, Verizon is on top for the major metropolitan areas, followed by T-Mobile, then AT&T, then Sprint (except for Dallas, where AT&T is 2nd and T-Mobile is 3rd). The survey results are based on reviewers giving details about a 7-day period regarding no service, circuits full, dropped calls, and static (call quality). In Cleveland there is no T-Mobile service ,I assume, since they have Alltel listed at the top, followed by Verizon, AT&T, then Sprint.

My experience is actually a bit better than what other people have experienced, but obviously these people have had good experiences. In fact, in Minneapolis, T-Mobile is at the top.
    Last edited by sgtdisturbed47; 12-13-2007 at 06:39 PM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdisturbed47 View Post
    According to Consumer Reports, Verizon is on top for the major metropolitan areas, followed by T-Mobile, then AT&T, then Sprint (except for Dallas, where AT&T is 2nd and T-Mobile is 3rd). The survey results are based on reviewers giving details about a 7-day period regarding no service, circuits full, dropped calls, and static (call quality). In Cleveland there is no T-Mobile service ,I assume, since they have Alltel listed at the top, followed by Verizon, AT&T, then Sprint.

My experience is actually a bit better than what other people have experienced, but obviously these people have had good experiences. In fact, in Minneapolis, T-Mobile is at the top.
    Great Job! Your post, presents some very valid points!

AviatorJud no está en línea Stack level 2

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but with the new google maps location feature, GPS doesn't seem very useful to me. Sure google maps uses the cell towers to approximate your location, so it's not nearly as accurate as GPS, but it actually gets very close which is useful enough when you're in the car trying to find your way around.

The WiFi is awesome.

8320 all the way.

Cisco Kidd no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    I don't need the net to be any faster then what I have I love the gps I use it all the time
    As for the 8320 to get gps I would have to get a puck now have to carry 2 things

jen86fur no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20f7ac61

MY 8320 =] just got it and i love it to death....

JimP no está en línea Stack level 1

I bought the 8310 (red) because I felt it would be best for my usage. My cars have integrated GPS displays, so I really didn't need the GPS for local driving. However, I felt that I could save money using TeleNav and canceling "Neverlost" on my Hertz profile. I estimate that I have a rental car about five days/month.... and a single daily Neverlost charge is close to the full monthly charge of TeleNav.

What I have found is that the GPS function is more valuable than I anticipated... even when I am not traveling. I particularly like the location based services such as Berry411 that knows the closest business to my current position. It is even helpful when not in the car... and walking through the downtown area. Also... TeleNav's "cheapest gas" option looks like it will be useful... especially when traveling.

I my situation, when I am in a WiFi hotspot... I usually have my laptop available. I have little interest in using my cell phone for the web when I have full computer displays. I have never run out of cell phone minutes... I have had months were I was over my allotment, but the roll-over minutes cover those rare months.

/Jim

kitk7 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by xtasyboi_00 View Post
    8320.. well i dont knnow the difference really myy vote doesnt count lol

it doesnt matter WERE ALL BB USERS thus making 8300 8310 8320 exceptional in every way. hahaha
    I totally agree. Can't we all just get along?

supamansimon no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304feb1f

Well I agree that it is preference I guess but over all I think the 8320 is a better deal because you can add the GPS to it and I'm not just saying that because that's the one I have. Now. Yeah I agree that if using te phone is the world to you and you can sacrifice the wifi go with att phone service is better. But overall the tmobile 8320 is better bang for your buck overall but that's my opinion. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

siccmade no está en línea Stack level 4

I would say that the 8320 is by far the best~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

I'll put it like this, Ive decided to pay the VZW ETF to get the 8310. And am not looking back...
    Sure the wifi is a nice feature. But All the other wifi devices Ive had, it sucked the battery life out, with a swirly straw!
    Ill keep the free GPS!!!

P.S. Did I mention the GPS WORKED? Im glad to be away from the Gestapo!!

Another P.S. I also didnt mention the Verizon theme looks and performs better on the 8310. My 8830 always had the hourglass lag! Its true, they do screw too much with their phones.
    Last edited by justajason; 12-24-2007 at 04:48 AM.
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

jag257 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I personally don't use mine as a phone that much. Work,personal emails and text mainly. I have the unlimited data package from ATT. I like not having to worry about how much data is being transfered so the wifi would be of no benefit to me....8310 got my vote!!!

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast