I've just got a warranty return started with AT&T, but am afraid they might stick ... BlackBerry Curve forum

montys no está en línea Stack level 1

Where is the moisture dot(s) on an 8300?

Advertisement

I've just got a warranty return started with AT&T, but am afraid they might stick me with a $349 bill!

I want to check my moisture indicator before going any further, but cannot find it.

AT&T’s warranty policy is they send a new phone and you return yours, but if they determine it was damaged, then they stick you with the full retail cost of the phone. You cannot get your old phone back, and you have no choice but to just pay up.

I have an 8300, new in August, and the trackball has been getting more flaky until it finally stopped altogether. Scrolling works, but press-to-select is dead. It got worse each time after I took it outside.

I’m afraid the moisture indicator may be changed, meaning AT&T will stick me $349 for a new unit.

The 8300 has NEVER been dropped in water or even gotten wet, but here’s why I'm concerned:
    • I've had it in my pocket, under a jacket, and worked up a sweat. The outside of the unit was damp with sweat, leading me to believe the inside might be damp, too.
    • I’ve had it in the cold (sub-freezing) and when returning inside a warm house, light condensation appeared on the outside – again leading me to believe the inside might be damp, too.
    To me, these seem like ordinary uses for a handheld unit – but if they changed the moisture dot, I'm toast!

On the Curve there is no obvious moisture indicator around the battery or SIM card, but there is a small sticker on the battery itself, on the bottom next to the four contacts. This sticker is pink with red X’s all over it. Might THAT be the visible moisture dot (with other hidden ones inside?)

If the dot’s changed and I'm going to be stuck buying a new unit, I'd rather buy one myself, keeping the old unit, and quite likely getting a different model.

So I'm afraid if I send this back, AT&T may charge me for a used (refurbished) unit, plus I don’t get a spare (they keep the replaced unit) and I don’t have the option of replacing it with an upgrade.

Thanks
    Monty

[The other REALLY weird thing is that along with the trackball select going dead, my multi-button commands no longer work. Like Alt-Arrow to switch applications, or Alt-Shift-Del to reset, or Alt-Shift-H for help/info screen. None of them work any longer, and they stopped working at the same time the trackball died.]
    Last edited by montys; 12-19-2007 at 10:06 PM.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: Where is the moisture dot(s) on an 8300?

take the battery out and youll see a small white (or pink) square dot.

takadante no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24B2C963

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The moisture indicator should be located next to the sim card. Its a white squared sticker.

As for you key problems, try a battery pull.

Thingus995 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FA8180

Condensation like that wouldn't cause your indicator to turn, I've had mine in the bathroom while I steamed it up from a shower, I've learned in my numerous years of phone use and close association to the phone companies that, although they are greedy, it takes direct contact with a liquid to change the dot... At least, at this point in time...

faisal no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242DF783

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the moisture indicator is on a vertical face by the sim.

The way your keys are operating sounds like a moisture issue. Try taking your bb put it next to a vent in your car and put the heat on high and highetst fan speed. It will dry out the moisture but if your sticker is red your screwed.

montys no está en línea Stack level 1

Found it.
    Yes it's right next to the SIM card, but not visible if looking straight down. It's placed on the plastic case, on the vertical wall just above the SIM card, facing toward the bottom of the unit. It's visible only if you hold it at an angle and look into the opened back from the bottom.

And the good news - IT'S WHITE AS A GHOST. Whew. So I can do the warranty exchange without fear of getting slapped with buying another unit.

> As for you key problems, try a battery pull.
    Been there, done that, at least a half dozen times - no change!

And here’s one for AT&T – I was surprised they helped me.
    I bought this 8300 from LetsTalk.com; well actually got it FREE from them. I called them first, and they told me it had a 30-day warranty – did I buy an extended warranty? (no)
    A little googling and I found it SHOULD have a 1-yr warranty, and this is LetsTalk’s way of making more $$ - they charge you for a warranty and then they send it back to RIM, under RIM’s 1-yr warranty.
    Frankly I consider myself a LetsTalk customer and caveat emptor – I got what I paid for!
    I told AT&T that I bought it from LetsTalk (info which they had anyway) but they said since it’s an AT&T-marked unit, they’ll stand behind the 1-yr warranty, and they’re replacing it, even thought I ‘bought it’ (free is a very good price!) from someone else.
    Way to go.

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

That warranty info is great to know. I bought my AT&T-branded phone elsewhere too.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

there is one there, there is usually two others in the device one is usually located under the front of the phone and one is usually underneath by the mother board. but yeah in some cases if its pink or a slight pink some carrieres will still honor the sticker. if you live in places like florida theres a lot of moisture that can be picked up or if you take hot showers and its in the bathroom. they usually take it into consideration
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter