Greatings all. I have recently made the switch from verizon to sprint and was curious ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pennaryan no está en línea Stack level 2

whats the difference

Advertisement

Greatings all. I have recently made the switch from verizon to sprint and was curious to know what's the difference between my old 8330 and my new 8330m. I have yet to see any!
    BlackBerry8330m/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't think there's much difference but, if you upgrade your OS, you may see different releases for the 8330 and the 8330m so somethings different in the internals. I have no idea what it is. You could probably find out by looking at the spec on each device but I doubt it'd be worth your time - just my opinion.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

pennaryan no está en línea Stack level 2
    Your probably right, I was just curious. I have notice that the 8330m seems to lag more but that could be the sprint OS too!
    BlackBerry8330m/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    8330m is a MEID device not ESN device

Electronic Serial Numbers (ESNs) were created by the FCC to uniquely identify mobile devices from the days of AMPS in the United States from the early 1980s. The administrative role was taken over by the Telecommunications Industry Association in 1997. ESNs are mainly used with AMPS, TDMA and CDMA phones in the United States, compared to IMEI numbers used by all GSM phones.[1]

An ESN is 32 bits long. It consists of three fields, including an 8-bit manufacturer code, an 18-bit unique serial number, and 6 bits that were reserved for later use, although in practice these 6 bits have long been combined into a 24-bit serial number field. This format only allowed 256 different manufacturers to be distinguished. Therefore, when it became clear that this would not suffice, a new format was created, with a 14 bit manufacturer code and 18 bit serial number. All recently assigned ESN codes (and all UIMID codes) use this format.

Manufacturer code 0x80 was reserved and now is used to represent pseudo ESNs (pESN) which are calculated from an MEID or EUIMID. Pseudo-ESNs are not guaranteed to be unique.

ESNs are often represented as 11 digit decimal numbers or 8 digit hex numbers. The first three digits are the decimal representation of the first 8 bits (between 000 and 255 inclusive) and the next 8 are derived from the remaining 24 bits and will be between 00000000 and 16777215 inclusive. The decimal format of pseudo ESN's will therefore begin with 128. The decimal format separately displays 8 bit manufacturer codes, but not 14 bit codes.

As ESNs are running out, a new serial number format named Mobile Equipment ID (MEID) has been created. MEIDs are 56 bits long, which is the same length as IMEI and, in fact, MEID was created to be compatible with IMEI. The main difference between MEID and IMEI is that the MEID allows hexadecimal digits while IMEI allows only decimal digits.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks, Steve, for that great explanation!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Now that was a great an excellent explanation thanks...
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.238 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/1

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Thanks, every now and then I muster up a good one