All of the talk about 4.3 bringing video recording and streaming and the more defined/updated ... BlackBerry Curve forum

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

What will we lose in 4.3??

Advertisement

All of the talk about 4.3 bringing video recording and streaming and the more defined/updated user interface got me to thinking about what we may lose. Any one have any ideas if all of the current apps will be fully compliant with the new OS? I haven't been following the 8120/8130 threads to see if the software apps are losing compatibility. I would have to think twice about upgrading if I were to lose things like Empower (unless 4.3 integrates it natively).

Any ideas on this (I think all will be fully compliant)? Has anyone else given this a thought?? How much has RIM really changed in this upgrade?? I know that when MS went from WM5 to WM6 alot of the developers were caught with their pants down so to speak, and took a while to get out from behind the power curve.

Interested to hear other thoughts on this (with is being JAVA based this shouldn't be an issue due to portability).

russcrypto no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Re: What will we lose in 4.3??

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I don't see this as being an issue either. If you'll notice when the system requirements for an app are listed, it normally says "OS v4.0 or higher" or something to that effect. I don't see us losing any functionality with our current third party apps. However, I could see losing some apps that are packaged with the OS. I'm not saying it will happen, but I suppose if some functionality were lost, that would be how it happens.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I don't think it will be an issue. I don't think any of the actual code was altered. Just updated. WM5 and WM6 is just a pandoras box when you start to deal with the code. Look at Micro$oft in general...XP to Vista just bad news.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Yeah didn't want to open that Pandora's Box with MS, but that really was the best example I had, as everything that was released prior to that said either 2003 or newer for compatibility and then WM6 came along with its fancy new features and interface (starting to sound familiar and the reason for my question, that and I couldn't sleep and felt like playing the devil's advocate) and wammo no more compatibility.

Thanks to those for playing along. It is neat to see the different theories and fears evolve.