I installed Yahoo! Go 3.0 on my BB 8310 today, and after the install it ... BlackBerry Curve forum

JasonGramm no está en línea Stack level 1

Question What is PIN-Locking?

Advertisement

I installed Yahoo! Go 3.0 on my BB 8310 today, and after the install it recommended PIN-locking my phone.

What does that mean?

Of course, in a hurry to try the application, I just clicked the "OK" button and moved on. So, I don't have the precise wording of the prompt.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Jason

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: What is PIN-Locking?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN-locking? I've never heard of it. I've heard of SIM-locking your phone but not PIN-locking.

I wonder if anyone else had encountered this.

If you want to keep all you info secure just the password security of BBs works just fine.

asdf12321 no está en línea Stack level 2

Hi. What yahoo refers to as PIN locking has nothing to do with your BB PIN number but instead to SIM locking. They call it like that because the convention is to call the SIM numeric password you assign as a Personal Identification Number, or PIN. FYI the password to disable a SIM lock without your PIN is a PUK.
    Anyway I think SIM locking a BB is a worst option that using the security a Blackberry uses.

eduardog21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215C7A2A

I think yahoo may just be referring to locking your blackberry with a pin or password so that no body other than you can have access to your email and information since you do not have to enter it other than during the initial setup. At least that's what I got out of that pin-locking statement during installation.

member.accts no está en línea Stack level 1

Ahhh.... Thanks for the help. That all makes sense. As I was fishing around, I did discover the option to set a PIN for locking the SIM card. I guess that is what was intended.

I just got confused because the whole concept of "PIN" messages with the Blackberry is new to me. I didn't know if it had something to do with that, or not.

Thanks!

Learning,
    Jason

urbanimpulse no está en línea Stack level 1

This makes sense. I got the same messages from Yahoo! Go and started wondering that if I don't lock my pin, someone is going to hack into my blackberry and start using my data plan

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Quote Originally Posted by urbanimpulse View Post
    This makes sense. I got the same messages from Yahoo! Go and started wondering that if I don't lock my pin, someone is going to hack into my blackberry and start using my data plan
    You definitely don't have to worry about that. Every BB has its own unique ID (the PIN) and IMEI number that in conjunction together make it difficult to "hack". I would say impossible, but as we've all seen, virtually any electronic security encryption can be hacked around if someone is determined enough and has enough resources.

I would say that you have better odds of winning a Powerball lottery or being struck by lightning than having your data plan hacked.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.