Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If it displays UMA from any wifi spot, then calls are routed over Wifi. You ... BlackBerry Curve forum

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3

Advertisement

If it displays UMA from any wifi spot, then calls are routed over Wifi. You don't need to pay for t-mo's hotspot service, and the minutes are deducted out of your bucket of minutes unless you have unlimited UMA calling for $10/mo or something.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I was at a Hooters last night (hate to admit that), but they have free wi-fi yet i couldn't connect (no networks found), but when i got home i setup my home network on my 8900 and it connected fine.

it was noticeably faster, i mean way faster! all i did was browse though, didn't try making any calls. how do you benefit from calls using wi-fi aside from the aforementioned plan costs and minute usage?

do you have to search for networks everytime? i thought i had mine set to use wi-fi automatically if in a wi-fi area.

waterwerks no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24ACA370
    well I'm using it to make 1300+ minutes worth of calls a month for $9.99...and to surf with a better download rate...

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffNNJ View Post
    You learn something new everyday. I used my 8320's wifi at a friend's house and could only get data. Guess I will have to try again with calls. Thanks!
    The 8320 does have UMA capability. If you are connected to a wifi router that has UMA capability you are automatically using the UMA for calls.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    The calls made while on UMA are still deducted from your minutes unless you have the hotspot add on. With the add on, your calls while on UMA are not deducted from your minutes
    __
    ~via smartphone wap.pinstack.com~

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    I honestly hardly ever touch my Wifi - I've always just used my data plan (which right now is free...silly Rogers), but usually when I get usage, never go over 500MB. The only time I have is when I was using FlyCast for music. Sweet program.

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    All this of course assuming you are using a carrier that enables UMA like TMo. It's such a great reason to be with TMo since I have no coverage for signal in my office. I use the unlimited $99 a month plan for calls so no need to use the plan that offers free UMA calls. Its all unlimited that way

mrfred2e no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31DB4CBF

Thumbs up

can make for you
    mrfred2e@hotmail.com

th577 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Only free if you have Hot Spot, otherwise it simply counts as regular minuets. I don't have Hot Spot and my wifi phone connections work great anywhere there is an open wifi network. I love it in my house. My office is in my basement but I get perfect reception on wifi.

teemoe no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    247E21AF
    I have a question because I'm now confused. I have the 8900 and my service sucks at work. But there is wifi available.

Question: If I don't have the add-on will the calls go through UMA and just be charged to my cell minutes? I'm ok with that because I have plenty of minutes, I just don't have good cell coverage in the building.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I rarely use wifi ... i do when i have bad reception when im at a cottage or something like that but usually i just leave it turned off lol

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by teemoe View Post
    I have a question because I'm now confused. I have the 8900 and my service sucks at work. But there is wifi available.

Question: If I don't have the add-on will the calls go through UMA and just be charged to my cell minutes? I'm ok with that because I have plenty of minutes, I just don't have good cell coverage in the building.
    100% correct.

to quote myself :

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Basically heres how it works :

The UMA hardware is built in the 8900 and it works with ANY wifi router.
    The 8900 will ALWAYS connect to UMA no matter if you have the UMA service on your cellular subscription or not (be it Rogers or Tmo).

If you do have the addon, your calls wont come out of your monthly minute allocation aka the Free Unlimited UMA Calling for xx$/Month option.
    If you do not have said addon, your call will STILL go over UMA but you will be billed for them the same way calls are billed if youre on the cellular network aka coming out of your monthly minute allocation.

Meaning, if you dont subscribe to it because you do not need that because you have a home phone but one day you find yourself at a cottage with NO reception, your can STILL use UMA (neat huh ?) and this work over ANY wifi not only a special router.

Now the reason why they (Rogers and Tmo) will try a sell you a Special Router, is because those said routers have a special voice mode enabled that keeps some of your bandwidth aside for voice calls.

So say youre downloading a huge torrent over your network and you use UMA yet you use your own router ... well it might not work well lol ... to say the least.

Now same case, USING A UMA ROUTER, your calls will go over the wireless network through that specific voice bandwidth.

Get it ?

Sorry for going on and on lol.

teemoe no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    247E21AF
    Thanks ranxoren! You Rock!

PIN/ID
    AskMe

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    So the bold can't do uma at all?