For about 2 weeks now my trackball does not seem to register the down motion ... BlackBerry Curve forum

phathead no está en línea Stack level 2

Weird Trackball Problem

Advertisement

For about 2 weeks now my trackball does not seem to register the down motion very well. I can use it in every other position, but it works only about half the time when I go to scroll down.

What would cause this exactly? I have attempted to clean the trackball and that didn't seem to fix it. Actually rebooting the device, for whatever reason, made the phone at least usable.

I used a first gen 8300 for two years and never had a problem so I'm left a bit puzzled at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    A lot of times low memory on my Curve will cause this problem. You might check that. Besides that since you said you have cleaned it I am not sure where else to go with this. Unless it is just a faulty trackball.

fatsoomeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA7EFA
    i dont know what the exact problem is, but i know my trackball went to garbage after having the phone for like a month of having the 8900 waited around for a good 4 months before i went and actually ordered the G1 black trackball from cnn.cn
    Titanium 8900
    PIN: 24AA7EFA

Past Devices:
    8100, 8800, 8320

eduardog21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215C7A2A
    Even after cleaning my trackballI have also had problems with the trackball not registering every now and then. It feels like the trackball is rolling really smooth compared to when it actually registers movement. My guess is it has to do with the magnetic rollers. I'm about to exchange my 8900 for this very reason.

stamfordharry no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi
    All Ido when mine sticks is lick my fingar and wipe it on ball problem sorted

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    i pulled the batt on mine and putt some good rubbing alcohol on a lint free cloth and rolled it around real hard pushing down on the ball, let dry for abut 1 minute and it worked real well and all was good, but that wasnt good enough for me so i ordered a G1 all black track ball and replaced it..work awesome

FerNasty no está en línea Stack level 2
    This happened to me when my phone was getting a lil old. All I would do is switch the sensitivity of the trackball to something higher
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    The track pad is going to eleminate all of this. I just ordered a 8520 from Amazon, unbranded for around $300. I will slip my AT&T sim card in and it will work well!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Battery pull, adjust sensitivity are both good but to truly fix the problem you should (either yourself or have someone) remove the track ball and inspect the rollers and magnets for lint and fine steel filings. I remove mine once about every three months and use a magnification light to go over everything with non-magnetic tweezers removing the lint and general grime that plagues track balls especially for those of us that carry our devices in our pockets.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.169 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!
    Yeah, mine is acting pretty weird lately. So if i order the black G1 trackball from cnn it will fix the problem?

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by stamfordharry View Post
    Hi
    All Ido when mine sticks is lick my fingar and wipe it on ball problem sorted

Yeah, I wouldn't continue doing that if you don't want water damage. Saliva is still water based. And we all know that electronics and water don't mix. Plus all you're doing is making it worse in the end.

Now back to phathead, if you take it back to your carrier they should be able to assess the situation and replace the trackball if need be. I wouldn't go in there saying you want another phone just because the ball is rolling down. Has there been any water damage even in the slightest case? Like steam in your pocket or the general area of your phone?

I had an 8130 and had it in my pocket one day at work, I was actually working so I started sweating. Long story short, I ended up paying for another phone because they said it had water damage.
    because we are amorphous, we hold that in reverence~ Tite Kubo

anoxia187 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    try this go to options then status. type test. do a test of what problems you are having on your device. see if u can move the trackball up and down left to right. if i doesnt work. do a restore and add only your contacts and other files u need. try it for 24 hours see if the problem still happens. Next step if you have a warranty still get a replace device from your provide.. Good luck..