So I have an 8GB microSDHC memory card on my BB8320 (running on 4.5.0.81 OS). ... BlackBerry Curve forum

fiveseven15 no está en línea Stack level 1

Weird Media Card Glitch. Help?

Advertisement

So I have an 8GB microSDHC memory card on my BB8320 (running on 4.5.0.81 OS).

Of course, all my pictures, ringtones, music, etc are stored on it via mass storage mode.

Last night, I added new music files to the music library and when I disconnected my BB from Desktop Manager, the new files didnt show up. In addition, my ringtones were missing when I checked out the Ringtones library. Finally, I went to check out the Pictures library and everything I had on my BB was in there (pictures, music, ringtones, etc.). REALLY WEIRD! The music in this folder didnt even play!

Frustrated, I formatted the memory card, added the files again via Media Manager and the BB still shows everything in the Pictures folder!

So now I give up and hope the Pinstack experts can help me out with this problem.

HELP! Please?

EDIT: My music files showed up and played using the Explore option, thanks to RedNightHawk, but not quite the fix I was hoping for.
    Last edited by fiveseven15; 11-15-2008 at 05:52 PM.

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    OK - I ran into that as well with my 8320.

It builds a file in each of your folders BBthumbs.dat. I added an 8GB card to mine a while back, and loaded it up.

If you go to Media, and wait, you will see "SCANNING" at the bottom of the screen. Mine ran for about 2 hours!

The music is there, it just hasn't added it to the .dat file yet. When it finishes scanning, all will be there.

I was actually expecting the "SCANNING" bar to show up when I went to Media since I had added new music files but that didn't show either which got me suspecting a problem in the first place. wyy183, you sure you had the same problem?

PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Yeah, I'm at work (slow Saturday, stuck in the office...) and I removed/added some more music on mine this morning. I finished around 10:30, took lunch, and checked at Noon. it was still SCANNING (this is on the main Media screen where it shows Music, Videos, Ring Tones, Pictures, and Voice Notes). It takes a few seconds after you go to the screen before it shows the SCANNING.

Anyhew - I've got my card packed (I think I have 17MB free right now...) and it finished up around 12:30, or two hours to do the total scan. It does this every time I change stuff around on it. Its a pain. But, normally I update right before I go to bed so it can do the scanning thing while I'm snoozing.

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    OS 4.5 and up seems to have added a module that scans and creates a filelist (as wyy183 mentioned) that programs then access to show available media. The list also seems to refresh from time to time and you may see that incessant scanning note and not see any files on multiple occasions. If at any time you don't want to wait for it to finish scanning you can still use the Explore option in the Media app (from the main screen of Media hit menu and then Explore). This will let you navigate to the different folders, and see all files. You can also launch individual files or play subfolders, etc. from there.

Not sure why all the files are showing in your pictures library, but the way the media app seems to be setup it seems to filter content based on the screen of the media app you're in so it won't play music from pictures, or show pictures from music. I'm assuming this is to allow playlists and slide shows without problems. You should still be able to launch from the Explore option though.

PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    I just unhooked - wish I had that screen shooter app!! I'm Scanning again - LOL!!

Too much playing this afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by wyy183 View Post
    ... wish I had that screen shooter app!!...
    You may want to check this out

http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/1...ots-on-device/

I haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNightHawk View Post
    OS 4.5 and up seems to have added a module that scans and creates a filelist (as wyy183 mentioned) that programs then access to show available media. The list also seems to refresh from time to time and you may see that incessant scanning note and not see any files on multiple occasions. If at any time you don't want to wait for it to finish scanning you can still use the Explore option in the Media app (from the main screen of Media hit menu and then Explore). This will let you navigate to the different folders, and see all files. You can also launch individual files or play subfolders, etc. from there.

Not sure why all the files are showing in your pictures library, but the way the media app seems to be setup it seems to filter content based on the screen of the media app you're in so it won't play music from pictures, or show pictures from music. I'm assuming this is to allow playlists and slide shows without problems. You should still be able to launch from the Explore option though.
    I used Explore and my files play from there. Thanks for that. But I'm still not quite understanding this. I haven't had anything say "SCANNING" on the bottom of Media screen. Is this just going to be a waiting game for everything to be listed in their respective folders?

I think I'm going nuts.

I'm beginning to think this whole problem is a result of adding files to Media using Desktop Manager (via USB cable) while my phone was charging on a BB Charging Pod. I mean, I've never encountered this problem before when I added files while it was NOT on a charging pod. I only decided to try it for the first time last night. Either that is that problem or I've gotten a little delusional

Ummmm, It should say scanning unless it thinks it's already up to date. I often find it'll scan after a reset (do a battery pull or use the SoftReset program), and sometimes it just does it on it's own. Other than a battery pull/reset I don't know how to force it to do a fresh scan.

Why was it on a charging pod when connected to desktop manager? The USB provides power also...

Quote Originally Posted by RedNightHawk View Post
    Why was it on a charging pod when connected to desktop manager? The USB provides power also...
    Haha, don't ask. Just something I wanted to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveseven15 View Post
    I used Explore and my files play from there. Thanks for that. But I'm still not quite understanding this. I haven't had anything say "SCANNING" on the bottom of Media screen. Is this just going to be a waiting game for everything to be listed in their respective folders?
    It's possible something messed up and actually did place all your files in the pictures directory. That may be why Scanning isn't showing up since maybe it finds no files in the music or video directories and hence needs to do no indexing (it onlys seems to index videos and music/ringtones as far as I can tell, not pictures or other stuff).

When you accessed the files through Explore did you find them all in the Pictures folder, or in their individual music, video, etc. folders?

If they're all grouped together try going into the Options app, Media Card, Set Mass Storage Mode to ON, and set Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected to Prompt (whenever you connect then it'll ask on the BB if you want to enable Mass Storage mode, which basically lets you see the SD card as another drive in Windows). Save the changes and hop on out of there. The make sure desktop manager is off, plug in the BB, say yes to mass storage mode, let Windows discover the new drive, and the use Windows Explorer on your computer to get into the directories.

I won't advise deleting or moving any files since I don't know if that'll set the DM Media component off if you try to use it later, but you might want to copy some files over in to the actual music and video directories, disconnect the BB, then open up the Media app on the BB and see what happens.

Remember to disable Mass Storage mode later on if that was your original setting.