I just got a Verizon 8330 for work last week. After playing with a coworker's ... BlackBerry Curve forum

InvisiBill no está en línea Stack level 1

Question VZW 8330 forgets about its memory card

Advertisement

I just got a Verizon 8330 for work last week. After playing with a coworker's for a bit, I realized it was a much better music phone than the Chocolate2 that I had. Both of my vehicles have Kenwood MP3/USB decks, and with the Curve I can just plug it directly into the deck and play my MP3s directly from my MicroSD card on my stereo. Since the card slot is under the battery, taking it out and using an adapter is very inconvenient (the one point where the Chocolate2 beats the Curve).

This works great except for one thing. Every time I reach my destination and unplug the Curve, it says that the memory card isn't formatted and it can't read any of the data. The phone won't read the card until I take it out, put it in the USB adapter, plug it into a PC, remove it from the PC, and put it back into the Curve. I don't do anything at all with the memory card on the PC, I just plug it in, click "Safely Remove", and put it back into the phone. After that the Curve can read the card again, until next time I finish using it with my head unit.

I have had the deck wipe my thumb drive once or twice, but I think that may have been due to voltage issues caused by hard starting. When it happened with the thumb drive, Windows also said that the drive needed to be formatted (and then recopy all my MP3s). With the MicroSD out of the Curve, Windows shows all the files fine and I don't need to actually do anything to fix it.

The Curve has done this every time except once (1-3 times a day for a week). I don't remember exactly what I did that time, but I've been playing with unplugging the Curve before and after I shut the car off, as well as changing modes on the deck before unplugging it. I've also tried letting it "cool down" longer before unplugging it, as it sometimes takes a while for all 8GB of music to show up in the media player (thinking that maybe I'm interrupting it before it fully "shuts down").

At this point, I don't know if it's caused by the deck or the Curve. My other vehicle is in the shop, so I've only tried this in one car (newer, but lower end head unit).

Anyone else have any similar experiences or advice?

kennedy_84 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302403B0
    Before you un-plug your phone, have you tried stopping your music and shutting down media player? or, when it says memory card isn't formatted, try Options > Media Card > turn media card support off and back on again. Hope that works. Also It might not be your comp that fixes the problem but the restart/battery pull of your phone. instead of taking out your battery and the card than putting in the adapter and what not, try a hard reset (alt+right shift+del) Post back if you figure it out or require more help.

InvisiBill no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedy_84 View Post
    Before you un-plug your phone, have you tried stopping your music and shutting down media player? or, when it says memory card isn't formatted, try Options > Media Card > turn media card support off and back on again. Hope that works. Also It might not be your comp that fixes the problem but the restart/battery pull of your phone. instead of taking out your battery and the card than putting in the adapter and what not, try a hard reset (alt+right shift+del) Post back if you figure it out or require more help.
    I'm just accessing my MP3 files via Mass Storage Mode, so the Curve is sitting at the home screen the whole time it's in my car. I've tried switching away from USB mode on my head unit and unplugging the cable at different times. It worked once, but I'm not sure exactly what I did that time (if I did anything different at all).

I thought the same thing, that the PC might not be fixing it. However, taking the card out and putting it back in didn't fix it. Taking it out again and putting it in the PC momentarily did fix it.

I just now tried disabling and re-enabling Media Card support, which did not fix it (gives the "unformatted" error as soon as it's re-enabled). The hard reset does the same thing, giving the "unformatted" error as soon as the phone comes back up. Even with it giving the error, I can plug it into my laptop with the USB cable, and Windows shows the card and all its contents right away.

I think I may have stumbled upon something. I'll do some more testing tonight and report back.