Does anyone know if you can use VOIP sevices such as vonage or skype in ... BlackBerry Curve forum

colinkeith no está en línea Stack level 1

VOIP on blackberry

Advertisement

Does anyone know if you can use VOIP sevices such as vonage or skype in place of regular blackberry providers to make calls and use internet sevices?

xxchixorxx no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: VOIP on blackberry

I've been watching for the same thing, but so far there's none that work like Vonage. There are some that do a callback service, but those are more for calling other countries.

*~Sheila~*
    243A0D29

laurie4563 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by xxchixorxx View Post
    I've been watching for the same thing, but so far there's none that work like Vonage. There are some that do a callback service, but those are more for calling other countries.
    can you explain a little?

I have broadvoice, because i need to call other countries, but i don't like the home phone... does it mean that they would put the service on the BB? i'm a little confused....
    thanks

xxchixorxx no está en línea Stack level 3

I was referring to programs like EQO, Jajah, and probably some others. What these do is let you call another country through their callback service for the price of your regular included plan minutes plus just a few extra cents per minute depending on the country. I haven't made any international calls to test it out myself, just know it's out there for that.

Another option is the T-Mobile Hotspot At Home service, which routes your calls at home or any wi-fi spot through your broadband connection for a flat fee per month.

*~Sheila~*
    243A0D29

greenandgold52 no está en línea Stack level 3

iskoot is a program on your bb that will let you call your skype contacts through skype but its not a true VOIP

laurie4563 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM me

is there some VOIP that would offer a service where instead of connecting a home phone, you could connect your BB ?

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I use iskoot as well - but mainly for staying online in skype when away from my pc. I have used it a few times to make skype calls. As greenandgold says it isn't true voip. You make a local call which then gets converted to a skype call. So it never costs more than a local call (I think) I would be pretty useful if you have a lot of hours and the quality is pretty good. I think you can use skype in and skype out too but have never tried it. I think the limited bandwidth of the BBs is one of the factors making true voip difficult. As far as I know, GPRS just can't cut it for voip...

Blakefreak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242A9091

EQO works pretty well, I use it to call family in Canada.

ong-gia no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Blakefreak View Post
    EQO works pretty well, I use it to call family in Canada.
    I was considering this as well for calling Canada, but I didn't find the website too informative. How does it work and what kind of costs are you finding?

Blakefreak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242A9091

I think it's $.025 per minute.
    better than the rate T-Mobile gives me.
    Essentially you dial into their number which then dials the number you want to call.
    All of that is taken care of for you though, all you actually see is you choose the number you wish to call and it does the rest.

ong-gia no está en línea Stack level 2

Cool! thanks for the info, I'll give it a try!