I'm a bit new to this so I will try and detail the problem as ... BlackBerry Curve forum

cnordb01 no está en línea Stack level 1

Vodafone 8300 and TCP/IP problem

Advertisement

I'm a bit new to this so I will try and detail the problem as much as I can.

3rd party applications are receiving network failed errors.
    GMail can't get connectivity
    GMaps can't get connectivity
    MovaMail and iMobileMail fail on connectivity
    OperaMini connects

Blackberry 8300 OS version 4.2.2.78 Platform 2.4.0.31
    Carrier: Og Vodafone (Vodafone Iceland)
    Device purchased from Vodafone UK and unlocked
    BES is 4.x with MDS disabled
    TCP APN set to gprs.is (OG Vodafone's GPRS APN for WM and Symbian devices)
    Vodafone's technical support has been no help
    Service books have been pushed twice

What does work. Blackberry WAP browser, BIS and BES email, OperaMini (after a service book push) and Shapeservices IM+

Any ideas why the TCP/IP via the GPRS APN is failing? Would upgrading to the new Rogers firmware help or am I dealing with a carrier issue?

Thanks for the help.

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Vodafone 8300 and TCP/IP problem

Quote Originally Posted by cnordb01
    Any ideas why the TCP/IP via the GPRS APN is failing? Would upgrading to the new Rogers firmware help or am I dealing with a carrier issue?

Thanks for the help.
    I am on Vodafone (UK) and my TCP/IP settings are:

APN: Internet
    Username: web
    Password: web

See if that does the trick
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OS upgrades are phone dependent NOT carrier dependent

I have the TCP APN settings correct and applications that I can tell to use TCP (like JiveTalk) work fine. It is applications like Gmail, Gmaps, MovaMail etc that do their own data connectivity in the background that are failing.

Is there a way to force them to use the GPRS APN? What controls the applications connectivity routing? Is it the Service Books? All the applications permissions are set to allow carrier data.

Thoughts?

kyububba no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by cnordb01
    I have the TCP APN settings correct and applications that I can tell to use TCP (like JiveTalk) work fine. It is applications like Gmail, Gmaps, MovaMail etc that do their own data connectivity in the background that are failing.

Is there a way to force them to use the GPRS APN? What controls the applications connectivity routing? Is it the Service Books? All the applications permissions are set to allow carrier data.

Thoughts?
    You're missing the BIS-B service books. Assuming your BES IT policies allows, you need the "IPPP for BIBS" service book for all of the above mentioned apps. You'll get this service book if you have the BlackBerry Browser (not carrier WAP).

Easiest way to grab it is to go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table, select "Register" from the menu.

Thanks kyububba.

So here is how it ended. IPPP for BIS is not part of the standard service book push for Og Vodafone in Iceland. After chatting with Og Vodafone's (not owned by Vodafone) main Blackberry guy he said that Og Vodafone gets charged for the IPPP for BIS service but would add it to my account / service book since I am paying for both a Blackberry plan and a metered GPRS plan for the APN settings. The new service books pushed and everything appears to be working well. In the meantime I also upgraded to the 4.2.2.89 Roger's OS build which had no impact on the service book but is working well.