I have a red AT&T BlackBerry Curve 8310 and cannot for the life of me ... BlackBerry Curve forum

williamkohlmann no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    244E10C3

Question Video problems, Help!

Advertisement

I have a red AT&T BlackBerry Curve 8310 and cannot for the life of me figure out how to use any video functions.
    I've tried to:
    1) Watch YouTube videos and get an error message that says "The protocol specified is not supported by the handheld. Please try a different URL."
    2) Added videos from my laptop and they just simply DO NOT WORK

Do I need to convert them to a different format?
    Do I need to acccept that even though my Curve has a video media section, I actually cannot watch, store, add, view videos on my Curve?

I'm getting frustrated and p-o'd at BB, can anyone HELP ME?!

-Bill

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Take 'er easy, dude.

Scoot on over to http://videos4blackberry.info/wp/ and see if any of those work for you.

Don't have time now, but if no one else answers you I'll come back and give an in depth response.

Short answer, yes, your videos need to be in a specified format (3gp, some MP4 will play), and for that matter if playing through the Media App, they need to be in the video folder.

williamkohlmann no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    244E10C3
    I went to the URL on my BB Browser and when I clicked "to download the Full Episode" (of any show) and it popped up an error that says "HTTP Error 403: Forbidden You are not authorized to view this page. Please try loading a different page."
    I assumed that downloading a full episode wouldn't work since it would be HUGE.

Can I just 'Save As' in .3gp format, then transfer to my media card??

kroma no está en línea Stack level 1
    i would assume that be the smart idea bc alot of data usage on ur bill unless u pay the $30 a month...

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sorry, I should've mentioned to go there on your computer vs the BB browser. Got thrown off since you'd mentioned loading videos from your laptop...

Issue 1) YouTube doesn't work

I'm assuming you're going to m.youtube.com. If you're getting the message you indicated I'm also guessing you're not running OS 4.5. It may void your warranty to load OS 4.5 on to your phone so I won't suggest that. OS 4.5 supports streaming media and the m.youtube.com URL, earlier OSes don't.

If you're on a 4.2 OS, try http://tinytube.net (Credit to Pinstacker Volscian for that info), you'll have to save the videos to your SD card, and then play from there.

Issue 2) Videos loaded from laptop don't play

Videos have to be in one of a few formats to play properly. 3GP ones seem to work the best, especially if using particular codecs and frame rates. Some MP4's will play - some not at all, some nicely, some choppily.

There are a bunch of different encoders/convertors out there, most of which are based on mencoder and just add on a nice GUI. There's even some free convertors out. I'm only going to mention the one that I use (even though it is one you have to pay for) because I know it works and I haven't had any issues with it, where as with other ones I tried I had problems with the sound going out of sync or other issues.

The program is called Ultra Mobile 3 GP Video Convertor.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/507347

It's pretty fast, simple to use, and as I said, I haven't had it mess up any videos. It's also what that site I mentioned in an earlier response uses to convert videos.

Here are the settings I use...

Profiles: 3GP - (MPEG-4 AAC) 3GPP Format (*.3gp)
    Video Quality: High (you might want to change this, but it'll change the end result file size and there's a certain point where it doesn't do any good to have it better).
    Video Codec: Xvid
    Resolution: 320x240 VGA
    Framerate: 15.0 fps (due to the small screen size this is okay for most stuff, but for something like an action movie you may want a higher frame rate)
    Aspect Ratio: Auto
    Audio Quality: 64 kps
    Audio Codec: mpeg4aac
    Channels: 2 Channels Stereo
    Sample Rate: 32000 Hz
    Enable or Disable "Add Letterbox To Keep Aspect Ratio" depending on the initial video.
    You can also choose to convert just a portion of the video, and adjust the volume globally if it was a particularly loud or quiet video.

Once it's converted just copy it to the video folder on your SD card, then use the media app on the BB to play the video.

I think once you get this going you're frustrations will melt away and you'll actually be quite impressed with the BB. I've managed to do a lot of things on it I used to have to carry around a laptop for, including watching training videos I'd converted for it.