Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ffmpeg can probably convert to 3gp.. i'll have to have a look and see..... BlackBerry Curve forum

perlguy9 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM

Re: Video Playback a huge disappointment!

Advertisement

ffmpeg can probably convert to 3gp.. i'll have to have a look and see..

cizake no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C3C5B

BlackBerry Media Converter is my only app to convert DivX and so far it does the job perfec!!

szumlanski no está en línea Stack level 2

My biggest problem is the lag when playing a video file. When playing a large file it takes forever for the volume and other buttons to respond.

rashumon no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't get it! are people out there blind or is it me? BBVC is free and easy to use but the quality of the videos is POOR! Is uses a very low bit rate (64 audio & 230 video)! Doesn't anyone out there know how to change those settings? After all it is using the rather powerful mconverter engine under its hood... I'm getting so frustrated with this - using the roxio MM converter quality is great but synch screws up, using BBVC synch stays fine but the video is all blocky and crap and audio is shrill and full of artifacts...

Help, please?

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rashumon
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't get it! are people out there blind or is it me? ...quality of the videos is POOR!
    Couldnt agree with you more. I followed all instructions and tried all methods and I must be in the Twilight Zone cause none of the videos are of great quality.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by szumlanski
    My biggest problem is the lag when playing a video file. When playing a large file it takes forever for the volume and other buttons to respond.
    I found that true for MPG files, but not for 3GP files.

Quote Originally Posted by rashumon
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't get it! are people out there blind or is it me? BBVC is free and easy to use but the quality of the videos is POOR! Is uses a very low bit rate (64 audio & 230 video)! Doesn't anyone out there know how to change those settings? After all it is using the rather powerful mconverter engine under its hood... I'm getting so frustrated with this - using the roxio MM converter quality is great but synch screws up, using BBVC synch stays fine but the video is all blocky and crap and audio is shrill and full of artifacts...

Help, please?
    The videos I generated from BlackBerry Video Converter looks excellent, sharp, clear, solid. Not sure what you are getting that is different...

szumlanski no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman
    I found that true for MPG files, but not for 3GP files.
    MPG? Are your talking about mp4 files? That does not help me much. I download video podcasts from iTunies and sync it to my microSD card. I don't need the hassle of converting videos... If it supports mp4 files it should play them properly. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman
    The videos I generated from BlackBerry Video Converter looks excellent, sharp, clear, solid. Not sure what you are getting that is different...
    Not so!
    for example - a divx film i converted with Roxio MM (choosing the convert for optimum BB8300 playback option) was 561mb with a bit rate of 400 while the same movie converted with BBVC was 208mb with 200 kbps - there is a CLEAR difference in quality between the two! and the BBVC is much worse.
    Whats the big deal? BBVC clearly has an option to add command line args to it in order to change these things and that would fix my problem - only problem i dont know what bloody syntax to use and all the stuff i tried, failed. I looked at the manual files for Mplayer/Mconverter engine and none of the command line args from that work in BBVC…

I’m getting mega frustrated by this saga. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

jjames42 no está en línea Stack level 2

I personally have used these setting with mencoder (backend for BBVC):

mencoder.exe dvd://1 -dvd-device D:\VIDEO_TS -aid 128 -ffourcc DX50 -vf crop=720:352:0:62,scale=320:-3 -o filename.avi -of avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=400:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64

The item you are looking for to change the video bit rate is the vbitrate=400. I believe that BBVC defaults this value at 230.

The scale=320:-3 setting calculates w/h using the other dimension and the original aspect ratio. The aid=128 option plays the first audio track. Please see the mplayer/mencoder documentation for more info.

Regarding the crop=, please see my pinstack post about this here.

For info on the -fourcc DX50 option, please see this Gentoo wiki entry.

I used the above in a batch file and tested both the vbitrate=230 and vbitrate=400; file sizes where 225 MB and 340 MB. The difference in quality is noticeable.

Most of this info was cleamed from this Mencoder DVD to MPEG-4 information page I ran across. My main changes where in regards to the vbitrate, crop, and scale options. I also am creating the movie in a single pass, rather than the 3-pass described. I may try this though.

I have spent the past 3 weeks gathering information on video conversions, and these options work for me. Yes it's command line, yes it's a little bit of work, but in the long run, I believe that the quality is better than any of the other options I have tested. As always, you mileage may vary.

Quick Update:
    I made a small mistake. It appears adding the -ffourcc DX50 option screws up playback; not sure why, but I remove this and the video played back without issues.
    Last edited by jjames42; 06-29-2007 at 03:40 PM.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ jjames42 thanks very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a software engineer so I really don't mind using command line. Just haven't managed to get it to work till now. The info you provided is exactly what I needed so thanks again! I will try these settings once I get in front a computer and let you know how it went...
    Cheers

No problem. I am going to try the 3-pass option mentioned in that link to see if there is a noticeable difference in quality.

Hummm, have been trying to use the following settings with mencoder but and although the coversions look just fine on the computer (right size and good quality and synch) when i try to play them back on the Curve - the whole handset crashes !!! and reboots itself... any ideas?

cmd args are:

>mencoder /movies/Mov.avi -vf scale=320:-3 -o /movies/MovC.avi -of avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts vol=0: preset=128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=500

Quote Originally Posted by jjames42
    I personally have used these setting with mencoder (backend for BBVC):

mencoder.exe dvd://1 -dvd-device D:\VIDEO_TS -aid 128 -ffourcc DX50 -vf crop=720:352:0:62,scale=320:-3 -o filename.avi -of avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=400:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64

The item you are looking for to change the video bit rate is the vbitrate=400. I believe that BBVC defaults this value at 230.

The scale=320:-3 setting calculates w/h using the other dimension and the original aspect ratio. The aid=128 option plays the first audio track. Please see the mplayer/mencoder documentation for more info.
    What does the commant line look like for converting a .AVI file and is there an option to convert to 3GP instead?

If you want to convert and AVI file, replace "dvd://1 -dvd-device D:\VIDEO_TS -aid 128" with your avi filename.

On 3gp I am a little weak right now. My understanding is that mencoder does not convert directly to 3gp. I ran across this tool, 3GP Converter, last year some time. Take a look at a tutorial from converting to 3gp for the iPod. Youcan probably modify the setting to produce a playable file.

Added:
    Please check this Pinstack post as well.

Last edited by jjames42; 07-01-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast