Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I don’t know about other stackers’ experiences with viewing videos on the Curve but I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rashumon no está en línea Stack level 2

Video Playback a huge disappointment!

Advertisement

I don’t know about other stackers’ experiences with viewing videos on the Curve but I have to say that I’m very disappointed. What initially seemed a like a killer feature to me to use on my commutes to work is turning out to be a big disappointment!
    The main reason for this is that it seems that the Curve video player simply cannot maintain Audio and Video synchronization!
    I have taken videos that have been converted both using the DM dedicated Roxio media Manager as well a conversions I have done using a variety of other video transcoders and yet I have not managed to get a single Video to display correctly on my Curve! In most cases after a few minutes of playback time the synch drifts so far that the movies become unwatchable! In addition videos seem to get slower and slower as they play – this gets so bad till after about 30 minutes of viewing, movies become so slow as to appear running in slow motion. The annoying thing is that when I play the very same files on my PC or Mac – no sych issues are evident and no slowdowns! So this is obviously a media player bug with the device’s software

Has anyone here ever been able to successfully transcode videos using MM or any other tool, without getting these synchronisation and video slowdown problems?

I’m beginning to regret not waiting for the iPhone

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Video Playback a huge disappointment!

My converted videos play perfectly (including several movies). Maybe it is the tool. I never did try the Roxio Media Manager... sounds like it doesn't convert very well. I use the BlackBerry Video Converter which is free and available here: http://www.seabyrdtech.com/bbvideo

tommyq106 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    244A8BB0

You can also try using SlySoft's Clone DVD Mobile, which you can download from slysoft.com. You get to try it for 21 days, you should also download AnyDVD to help with the protection. After that if you wanna purchase them it's like $60 but it's well worth it. That's what I use to encode my movies for my Pearl and my Curve.

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

This is a common problem with encoding video for portable devices. It is not the Curve that is causing the audio sync problems--it is the encoding software. Lots of reasons for this, search around on the goog.

JohnnyJB04 no está en línea Stack level 2

What's the best format to use for the video to be played in full screen? I know that the pause and stop buttons will still be at the bottom but I converted some videos to 3gp and there is still a lot of room available for the video to be played on

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

The pearl won't support full screen playback.
    there is app out by dollars5 that does.

give this a looksee
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...y_relased.html

hope this helps
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

JohnnyJB04 no está en línea Stack level 2

Does the Curve support full screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman
    My converted videos play perfectly (including several movies). Maybe it is the tool. I never did try the Roxio Media Manager... sounds like it doesn't convert very well. I use the BlackBerry Video Converter which is free and available here: http://www.seabyrdtech.com/bbvideo
    Thanks for that! It works very well indeed. Used this tool to convert an avi that got completely munged by MM and the sync stayed spot on!
    Only question I have is - the quality of the converted video is not great, much less than the MM conversions. This is because this tool creates more compressed files. In fact the conversions I got with this were about half the size of the MM conversions of the same original files. Is there any way to 'up' the output video quality on the BB video converter?

Cheers!

In BlackBerry Video Convertor you can choose the quality of the video under the Video tab.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

In my BB video converter programs, my videos weren't much smaller than the originals. But at least you see the curve can have good full-screen playback with the right programs

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJB04
    Does the Curve support full screen?
    Corner to corner if you encode the video correctly. May depend on your source file hough. The BB video converter program makes it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman
    In BlackBerry Video Convertor you can choose the quality of the video under the Video tab.
    Not that i have seen... under the Video Tab when one selects to maintain the aspect ratio of the movie for 8800 screen (320 x 240) there are no options to control to conversion quality... or am i missing something obvious?
    Same for Audio BTW.. it just seems to default to lowest possible quality resulting in poor audio and video quality.

Seems like the way to customise the bit rates is by using command line arguments in the Advanced tab. does anyone know what syntax should be used to set Video bit rate usning that?

Thanks!

Because I had nothing better to do (truth is I did, but alas) I decided to play around and see which video format seems to use the least CPU on the BlackBerry... this is a VERY unscientific test.

I used "BlackBerry Video Converter" to create MPG 320x240 sized files and I used Makayama "Media Studio for BlackBerry" for 3GP conversion. I converted three movies and tried them out on the BlackBerry.

Overall:
    • Both formats offer very similar file sizes, some movies larger in one format, others in the other. But overall VERY close to each other.
    • "Media Studio for BlackBerry" is about 2/3 faster than "BlackBerry Video Converter"
    • "Media Studio for BlackBerry" has options to "zoom" the video to remove black bars, really wish that "BlackBerry Video Converter" had that feature too.
    • "BlackBerry Video Converter" has a real "keep aspect ratio" option, while "Media Studio for BlackBerry" requires that you watch a preview of the movie in a simulated BlackBerry screen and choose if it is a 4x3, 16x9 or Cinemascope video. Easy with practice, tricky for a novice user.
    • "Media Studio for BlackBerry" has a much cleaner interface for novice users.
    • Both products support the transfer to the BlackBerry, but I prefer to just drag it over manually in windows.
    • "Media Studio for BlackBerry" could not convert a YouTube FLV file, eventhough its documentation claims it can. Solution was to use "BlackBerry Video Converter" for those You Tube videos.
    Results:
    • Both produced very sharp looking, clean, crisp videos on my BlackBerry Curve.
    • MPG videos seemed to slow down the BlackBerry about 50% more than 3GP videos, movie plays fine, but BlackBerry is very sluggish for anything else.
    • I had some trouble/hesitation with being able to easily pause, FF and RW MPG movies, it works fine, but not as snappy/smooth as when playing a 3GP movie.
    Conclusion:
    • I don't think the faster conversion speed of "Media Studio for BlackBerry" is a big deal, it still takes 20-30 minutes or so to convert a 2 hour movie on my DualCore machine.
    • 3GP seems to be the better format for the BlackBerry.
    • I really wish there was a BATCH conversion feature on either tool.
    • I really wish I had an 8GB card in there.
    Relevant URLS:Anyone have recommendations for a free 3GP converter? One that can maybe do FLV files too?

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for this post. I haven't converted anything for my Curve yet, but will refer to this when I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast