This is my first post here - sadly on this topic... The vibrate function on ... BlackBerry Curve forum

skrippy12 no está en línea Stack level 1

Vibrate seems broken - worth reinstalling OS?

Advertisement

This is my first post here - sadly on this topic...
    The vibrate function on my Blackberry Curve 8330 has stopped working suddenly. I purchased my blackberry from somebody else, so it is no longer under warranty. I have checked all of my profile settings multiple times, tried taking out the battery, and tried wiping the blackberry, but it still doesn't vibrate. There is no way to get this phone to vibrate. All other notifications work fine.

When the phone is supposed to vibrate, I just here a very soft mechanical clicking noise.

It seems like the only thing left for me to do is do a complete wipe and reinstall the OS. Is it even worth doing this, or should I just accept the fact that my vibrator is broken, and I'm stuck with only a ringer?

Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

04Taco no está en línea Stack level 3
    You can try taking it apart to see what is causing the clicking noise. Instuctions to disassenble can be found here in the boards. I don't think reinstalling the OS is going to help if you are hearing a noise. Sounds like the motor is running but maybe the weight is off or loose.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hey skrippy!

Welcome to PinStack!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your device. It certainly sounds like a mechanical problem and nothing to do with the OS.

If you can be without your device for awhile, you might want to consider having it repaired. Here are a couple of options out of TX and CA respectively:

www.bbrepairshop.com
    www.cellulardr.com

It really doesn't sound like a wipe and OS reinstall would be of much help, unfortunately.

Roger

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    As 04Taco suggested, if you're mechanically inclined, you can find disassembly videos on www.cnn.cn.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    It might be dirty or full of lint.

Disassemble it and see if it just needs a bit of cleaning with a pressurized air can.

Since it is out of warranty, it won't matter that you disassemble it.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

skrippy12 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    It might be dirty or full of lint.

Disassemble it and see if it just needs a bit of cleaning with a pressurized air can.

Since it is out of warranty, it won't matter that you disassemble it.
    Should I just take out the battery and spray some air around, or does anybody know of a diagram/picture showing where the vibrate part is?

I may go with the repair route...thanks for the info.