Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm going to get a Blackberry. I'm currently with Sprint (Katana) waiting for my anniversary ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Chicklet no está en línea Stack level 1

Very Very Very Newbie... What to Get?

Advertisement

I'm going to get a Blackberry. I'm currently with Sprint (Katana) waiting for my anniversary date to come up. I definitely want WIFI on whichever Blackberry I get. Should I stay with Sprint or switch to AT & T. Also, I've been reading a bit here and think the 8320 might be the way to go. Or is there something new coming out that I should wait for?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Here is my very short Wish List..... (I don't know enough to have a bigger one yet. LOL)

-use the internet just like my home computer
    -Possibly log onto my home computer when I'm out on the road and see our Catering Business Software (Caterease)
    -log onto the internet and view checking account on Intuit Online
    -Email is a given that I'm sure I'll have
    -Take Pictures

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Very Very Very Newbie... What to Get?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well the 8320 for tmobile is the only bb that has wifi, I believe. I'm not sure about remote access to your home computer, but I'm sure you can log onto any of your accounts through the bb.

The camera is a 2mp shooter and is pretty decent for a cellphone. Hope this helps a bit.

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

the 8820 on AT&T has wifi and, I think, GPS built-in. It doesnt have a camera, but tmobile's 8320 does. no gps on the 8320. As far as your catering business software, it would have to be blackberry compatible. same with Intuit Online.

My husband tells me that the Wifi can really run your battery down. I've been leaning towards the 8320, but I guess I need to hold one and play around a bit. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions. I will need to find out if the Blackberry is compatible with the programs I want to use. That will be the first thing I do. Then, I need to decide whether to stay with Sprint or move to AT & T. Isn't Sprint a bit faster? But, they seem to only offer the 8830 right now.

th577 no está en línea Stack level 3

Speed is not a huge issue with a BB. No streaming TV available. No Windows to slow you down. Take a look at T-Mobile though. I get 1500 anytime minuets and unlimited data for 59.00/month. Just replaced my Pearl for an 8320. Easy to turn the wifi or bluetooth on or off when not in use. The wifi works great. I was in the Orlando airport yesterday and logged right in. T-Mo is the only carrier that uses wifi to talk over. That means, if you don't have a good cell signal, but you do have a strong wifi signal, talk is just fine. BTW, used wifi in the hotel I was in as well.

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70

You should check out T-Mobile and not let AT&T and sprint be your only choices. The 8320 is a Great BB!

~via BB 8320 (wap.pinstack.com)~

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

Is it worth getting the 8320 if you never use WiFi? How much of a price difference is there between the 8310 (GPS unit) & 8320 (wifi unit)?

PIN/ID
    249E4D70

I think they are the same price.

lew2 no está en línea Stack level 2

-use the internet just like my home computer
    -Possibly log onto my home computer when I'm out on the road and see our Catering Business Software (Caterease)

You may find these experiences are nothing like you expect. A PDA screen IMHO is just not capable of doing this sort of task except in an emergency basis. Yes you do have internet connectivity but it is not going to be "just like your home computer" unless you're viewing your home computer's screen through a toilet paper tube.

-log onto the internet and view checking account on Intuit Online

Don't know. My bank works fine, but I've no experience with Intuit Online

-Email is a given that I'm sure I'll have

This is what BB's do very well. HTML email is still a bit troublesome but aftermarket s/w takes care of that until RIM does something (possibly with OS4.5 in a couple months)

-Take Pictures

Do you use a blender when a heavy duty mixer is the proper tool for the job? Yes, cellphone cameras are not that bad these days, but they're still miles and miles away from even the basic dedicated pocket cameras. Even on the 8300's the camera is good only if nothing else is available or if I just want to snap a pic of a shelf-label at a store or somesuch. The issue isn't the megapixels it's the lens and the sensor and then the internal processing stuff.

lew2 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
    Is it worth getting the 8320 if you never use WiFi? How much of a price difference is there between the 8310 (GPS unit) & 8320 (wifi unit)?
    Last I checked the 8310 was $99 on AT&T, the 8320 was $250 on TMobile. I don't know who has what outside the US.

The more important question is which service works better where you need service.

8310 has GPS, 8320 has Wifi. AFAIK there are no other differences except colors and which carrier offers which unit.

I have a lot to think about. My husband has the IPhone and loves it. But he thinks that the BB will be better for me. We live in South Florida. I have Sprint and have a great signal. He has AT & T and the internet is a bit slow and he has to go outside to pick up a signal. I've never tried T-Mobile.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm going to take my time and not impulse buy. Or at least trynot to.

PIN/ID
    249E4D70

That's sounds like a great idea!

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Hey im new here just got a Curve 8310 from Rogers Wireless in Canada. First of all thanks to all the team this forum is amazing found so much stuff already !! Now as for your question, i went for the gps one because whenever there is a wifi signal around i usually have my laptop with me so i would much rather check out whatever i need to check out on my big screen and worst comes to worst or if im lazy edge does the trick

bluebugangel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Plz Ask

Here is my suggestion! Everyone here, including myself, can tell you what we think, but we may be biast to our own phones. What I did was go to the blackberry web site and click to compare phones. WiFi? It depends on if you need it. All BB's have internet connection and browsing. I am not sure what you are looking to do, but, as I said, my suggestion would be to go to the website and compare. When I did that, I found the 8310 had more to offer and since it is the newest of the BBs right now, that was my choice. Good luck in your shopping!
    -------
    UGH! Do you live in Loxahatchee? LOL My family and I had the same problem!
    Last edited by bluebugangel; 01-24-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5

You will need to figure out what you really want. I mean, if you really want a phone with a camera, the 8820 is out of the question. You will also need to figure out how good reception is in your area with the different carriers. The 8300, I hear, has been discontinued. The 8310 has GPS and a camera, but no wifi. The carrier for the 8310 is AT&T. The 8320 however, has wifi and a camera, but no GPS. It just depends on what you want. Also, T-mobile is the only carrier that carries the 8320. I hope that helps.

If only the makers of blackberries come out with a bb that has GPS, Wifi and Camera capabilities. I guess we will have to wait for that. OOoOooh, touch screen would be nice, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast