Hi all- Just got the Curve a week ago on Verizon. Anyone know if there ... BlackBerry Curve forum

stumpf2000@yaho no está en línea Stack level 1

Verizon Curve 8330 GPS

Advertisement

Hi all-

Just got the Curve a week ago on Verizon. Anyone know if there is work being done out there to enable the GPS? It would be a really great thing if Verizon actually let us use all the features of the phones we bought.

Any and all ideas or links would be appreicated.

Thanks all!

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925

Thanks for the info!!!

rollout369 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    Based on past history Verizon will keep this locked in the hopes of separating us from some more money each month. I've found that it's a trade-off with Verizon--they have the best network (where I live and where I travel) but they're forever disabling features on their phones.

Yeah, that is kinda where my gut is going as well. Hopefully even if they do not, someone will discover a way to hack into the device and enable it. Since GPS recievers should not go through the network, but actually pick up a signal from satellites, I am hopeful!

tafaghodi no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpf2000@yaho View Post
    Yeah, that is kinda where my gut is going as well. Hopefully even if they do not, someone will discover a way to hack into the device and enable it. Since GPS recievers should not go through the network, but actually pick up a signal from satellites, I am hopeful!
    Blackberries do not have gps receivers they have aGPs receivers. They do go through the network for confermations. The gps will not work without the network

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D
    I know its not a great workaround, but, if you put vz nav on your account, load up the program, go to "follow me", you can then load up any gps program. I have gotten google maps as well as live search to work.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    I have found that the best programs for GPS are the ones you pay for---the others are severly lacking in organization of the UI....might as well pay for it.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    I have found that the best programs for GPS are the ones you pay for---the others are severly lacking in organization of the UI....might as well pay for it.
    I cant agree more. Even if verizon didnt disable aGPS for third-party software, i'd still pay for vz navigator. Its an amazing program that works 100 percent of the time.

aalqadaffi no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31B21B7B
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpf2000@yaho View Post
    Hi all-

Just got the Curve a week ago on Verizon. Anyone know if there is work being done out there to enable the GPS? It would be a really great thing if Verizon actually let us use all the features of the phones we bought.

Any and all ideas or links would be appreicated.

Thanks all!
    GPS is enabled on mine. I pay $10 a month for it. It's called VZ Navigator and it works amazingly well.
    BlackBerry 8830, BlackBerry 8130, BlackBerry 8330
    Nokia N71
    getatthekid.com
    myspace.com/ohsocute

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    i spoke with a respectable rep who works for the coding dept of verizons blackberry dept and he told me they are working diligently on the new vz navigator 4.0 for the blackberry. it will have 3d mapping as well as detour routes for construction and accidents as well as searching the area for the cheapest gas prices
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    I don't mind paying for a service that works, but why does VZW have to disable it to all 3rd party prgms? Maybe greed? It's not because of safety and security, our BB's already offer that without VZW. I told that to a At&T rep today and he could not believe that VZW disables GPS on a GPS-Enabled phone. (Yes, I told him the whole story...I think he will have a little sales edge from now and until VZW gets their act together.)