I am connected to the Internet via the data option of the service provider i.e. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rahularora no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2573BE5E

Question Using Wi-Fi, How do you detect wi-fi?

Advertisement

I am connected to the Internet via the data option of the service provider i.e. EDGE. Also when I switch on wi-fi in my Curve 8900 how do I make sure that whatever browsing I am doing, and emails are downloaded via the wi-fi and not the data transfer option of the service provider????

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    when you choose "manage connections" you'll see "mobile network options". you'll see "connection preference." you can set it accordingly.

obione no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa759c
    but how can you have you phone detect a wifi network, like my laptop. when i am near a wifi, in the bottom right hand corner lets me know i am near some wifi hotspot and i am able to choose. But with my phone i have to always scan, is there a way to auto detect from your phone.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    not exactly. there is no alert that shows if you are within a wifi area, unless you run the manual scan. your bb is always scanning for a network connection on its own, but only for those that are already included on your list, such as the HotSpot and any other networks you have already added.

one option is to google a list of the most common router default settings and input them onto your list ("wifi options") and create individual profiles. then if you are within connecting range of any of these default's that do not have a key, you will be automatically connected.

note: connecting to open networks that you do not have permission to access may be illegal in your state.

piccopower no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you have a data plan will it make a diferance if you put it on wifi? Or what exactly does it do?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by piccopower View Post
    If you have a data plan will it make a diferance if you put it on wifi? Or what exactly does it do?
    It's just a different type of connection. Quite a bit faster than the EDGE setting you get from the carrier. If you have a data plan it doesn't matter which connection you use.

obione no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa759c
    The difference is speed in browsing the internet, talking under a wi-fi connection is clearer and while on a call just like 3G you can receive your emails you don't have to wait until you end the call just to let the emails come in. I prefer wifi I live in NYC so a lot of resturauants and public parks have wifi so I am on it a lot.

piccopower no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Also if you don't have an unlimited data plan, it will help to use WiFi whenever you can so you keep your data plan usage down.

flyatiger no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am just getting used to the 8900 myself..

Try this.

Click Manage connections, then Service Status this screen shows you what connection each service is using and it is detailed.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rahularora View Post
    I am connected to the Internet via the data option of the service provider i.e. EDGE. Also when I switch on wi-fi in my Curve 8900 how do I make sure that whatever browsing I am doing, and emails are downloaded via the wi-fi and not the data transfer option of the service provider????

rahularora no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2573BE5E
    Thanks so much for the details... Gives me a few ideas. But the probelm is that if I switch off the data network and use only wi-fi the internet does not work. Any clue on this?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~