I know that there are several pieces of medical reference software from Skyscape and Epocrates ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jkannry no está en línea Stack level 1

Using the multimedia card: BB File Storage, backup????

Advertisement

I know that there are several pieces of medical reference software from Skyscape and Epocrates that store and access files on the multimedia card. this would suggest os 4.3.x and up supports storing and using files on the card. Is there any way I can store my emails on my multimedia card and access them as needed??

Like to keep old emails on hand for reference and because blackberry has a superior and significantly faster searching and index system to outlook.

I also wonder if blackberry has finally caught up to old Apple Messagepad/Newton, Palm etc and can create a backup of device to multimedia card??

J

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    emails will not save to your memory card. you can have as many as you want in your inbox though... ive read of users having upwards of 5000 in their messages folder, saved folder etc.

id recommend just backing up your emails into the saved messages folder. they'll still be searchable there.

i really do wish we had a system of backup directly to the memory card, but alas, have not seen anything of the sort yet... i, however, do keep my latest backup file saved on my memory card, along with a copy of dm. just in case i ever run into any emergencies...
    i see RED...

Thank you for an intelligent, useful, and well thought out response. Intriguing ideas. Assuming dm desktop manager, how would you do a restore on the road from a pc? Can dm on the card run as the blackberry being restored??

Also thanks for confirming my use model of my blackberry keeping emails. On another site I was kind of laughed at with a quote to the effect that its for getting emails and not being an extension of your inbox.

I'm not sure how saving emails help. The challenge has been memory managment. Does saving them reduce the memory they occupy??

J
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    ask me
    jkannry, youre most welcome... its what we're here for...

the only advantage of saving the emails to the "saved messages" folder is to remove clutter from your inbox. saving will not reduce memory consumption.

most people that have reported having a high amount of messages have not said of any slowdowns on their devices, but im sure doubling that number will definitely have an effect.

im not sure how much memory 5k emails would take up, but it shouldnt really be more than about 5ish mb. ive got a bold, so memory management hasnt been much of an issue with me.

i downloaded a copy of dm4.6 (english, no media manager) from the BB website and saved the installer to my memory card along with my most recent backup. the DM will not run off the device, but the advantage is that if indeed i do run into a severe situation where my device is in trouble, i can use the nearest PC and install the DM on there... (basically eliminating the need for internet connectivity) and i wont have to run home just to find a backup...

hope this info helps...
    i see RED...

Thanks again.

The challenge still remains memory wise with emails. One of the delightful features of blackberry(sarcasm intentional) is you open an attachment and save email it is bigger than a few k. No way to get rid of attachment downloaded. Second blackberry eats up a lot of memory tracking synch with enterprise server. I can clean some of it out with reboot but the challenge remains. Oh well

J

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Wow... Never thought of that... Good point... Unless you save an attachment to a location, the actual downloaded attachment (within the email) can't be deleted...

One thing you can try to speed up your berry a little bit is to delete the logs... "Alt" + lglg

Do you have any 3rd party apps or themes you don't use? May want to get rid of those...

Luis998 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Great info, red! I don't mean to bump an older thread but what is the downside of deleting the logs? I see that it would be deleting logs for my messengers but my question is what other type of logs does it delete? Thanks for the help in advance.
    If a tree fell in a forest and killed a mime, would anyone care?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Luis,

The log Red speaks of is the event log, which, unless you are on a BES system is kind of useless. The log contains information to help BES admins troubleshoot issues. This log can actually be turned off, by the way. When you press and hold the Alt key and enter LGLG as Red mentions above, this brings you into the event log. From here you press the BB menu button. To clear it, you select Clear Log. To turn it off requires a little more work. Instead of Clear Log, select Options. Then you have to uncheck each option in the list. Takes a little time, but until you upgrade or reload your OS, you'll never have to clear this log again.

Another log you would want to keep clean is your phone log, or turn call logging off altogether.

Cheers,
    Roger

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Does that actually turn it off or just hide the entries?
    Asking only because the legend @ the top shows unchecked as hiding.
    I'm confused. Not a first, mind you.

Honestly, even if it does only hide the entries, you'll probably notice that the log doesn't really have much of an effect on the overall memory level.

I'd have to say I've noticed little gained. Quicklaunch gives a shortcut to device info. I've been checking the memory before and after deleting the log and haven't noticed a real gain.

Right. You're better off clearing browser cache, call logs, deleting e-mails, texts, etc.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Agree with rogro on this one... The event log doesn't make much of a difference, but the browser cache and call logs will give a bigger boost...

You think someone would make an app that does all of that, maybe users choice or on a schedule.