I have read that you can connect to the internet on the computer using the ... BlackBerry Curve forum

angelarodriguez no está en línea Stack level 2

using curve as modem for computer

Advertisement

I have read that you can connect to the internet on the computer using the blackberry as a dial up modem. I have the bb unlimited data plan with att, will that cover the usage if I use the curve as a dial up modem? I'm a little confused bc I have also seen some posts saying something about "tethering", and that you need a "tethering" plan. Is "tethering" the same thing as using the curve as a dial up modem? can someone please explain this to me? I don't want to just try it and then get a big bill from att!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Angel,

Check out this thread for instructions on how to do it...and yes, tethering is using the BB as a modem to accomplish this.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Thanks for the link, but it shows 2 different ways and the one I want to use is through the EDGE GPRS dial up connection. Is that still considered "tethering" and will I need an additional plan besides my unlimited bb data plan?

Quote Originally Posted by angelarodriguez View Post
    Thanks for the link, but it shows 2 different ways and the one I want to use is through the EDGE GPRS dial up connection. Is that still considered "tethering" and will I need an additional plan besides my unlimited bb data plan?
    Post #3 of that thread addresses EDGE type phones. No, your unlimited data plan covers it and yes, that is considered tethering.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

So, I want to make sure I got this right: if I use the intstructions on post #3 for EDGE, my unlimited bb data plan covers it and I won't be charged for tethering? I have seen that there are some posts that say att has a "tethering" plan or something.

Gman1108 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    Not sure if this will help at all as I'm UK based....

I managed to get my 8310 working as a modem for my laptop. I did struggle for absolutely weeks until I called my carrier who had to add a couple extras to my data plan.

Once they did this it came up straight away.

So, if you find you're struggling, might be worth a call into AT&T.

Also, my carrier didn't need charge for the extra additions to my account.

Hope this might help you out.

Good Luck...

Angel, You'd check with AT&T to be sure or at least get the 'od" from one of our AT&T users. I'm T-Mobile - I know they don't charge. It doesn't seem like they would - this is all data but you might check to be sure. Let me see if I can find a reference for you.

Here's a thread that says it's ok on AT&T and no charge...and here's a thread that says they DO charge. Call AT&T to get the straight poop.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 09-01-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks for all of your information. I finally just called att and they do charge for using the blackberry as a modem, seperate from the unlimited blackberry data plan. They have 2 plans: the $30 blackberry personal plan and the $60 blackberry personal w/tethering plan. So, no, my plan wouldn't cover the data I would be using to connect to the internet from the computer. I'm better off using the blackberry internet on my phone!