Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone been able to use the 8320 as a tethered modem at a t-mobile ... BlackBerry Curve forum

sharklover no está en línea Stack level 1

Using 8320 as tethered modem at t-mobile hotspot

Advertisement

Has anyone been able to use the 8320 as a tethered modem at a t-mobile hotspot if you subscribe for the hotspot@home service?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: Using 8320 as tethered modem at t-mobile hotspot

The hotspot at home service is for voice not data. You have to have the T-Mobile HotSpot service for the data side of it if you wish to use it at Starbucks.

Zo

sharklover no está en línea Stack level 1

Hs anyone tried it?

markbb99 no está en línea Stack level 1

You do not need the Hotspot@Home addon to use the Curve as a tethered modem at a T-Mobile Hotspot like Starbucks (all the HS@H gives you is unlimted voice calling of wifi) - you do need a data plan that allows tethering however - and you do not need the T-Mobile Hotspot addon either.

It works - altohugh not as fast as it you connect your laptop via a wifi card to the TM Hotspot (if you pay for Hotspot access).

dgon2202 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24215ef5

i hear all this talk about hotspots.... wat is it? and is it nessasary?

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5

I think you can. I have tested it from work using my desktop and the Curve over WiFi and did see much higher speed when I went to nyc.speakeasy.net then when the T-Mobile curve was connected over EDGE. So I think you can tether it to a laptop and surf at faster speeds over Starbucks T-Mobile Hotspot but I can't see that as being worthwhile for me. Additionally the status on my Blackberry shows data and voice connecting over WiFi.

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5

Question Re: Using 8320 as tethered modem at t-mobile hotspot

Quote Originally Posted by markbb99
    You do not need the Hotspot@Home addon to use the Curve as a tethered modem at a T-Mobile Hotspot like Starbucks (all the HS@H gives you is unlimted voice calling of wifi) - you do need a data plan that allows tethering however - and you do not need the T-Mobile Hotspot addon either.

It works - altohugh not as fast as it you connect your laptop via a wifi card to the TM Hotspot (if you pay for Hotspot access).
    I pay $30/month for BES on my T-Mobile Curve. Does that allow tethering? I only tethered for a little bit and don't see any charges on my bill for tethered or other access. I am very curious about this because I am going on a business trip next month and will need to tether alot that weeek.

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Your BES should cover tethering provided that you don't have an IT policy blocking it on the phone. The BIS plan also covers tethering. It just doesn't cover wi-fi data access at T-Mobile's HotSpots.

Zo

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by dgon2202
    i hear all this talk about hotspots.... wat is it? and is it nessasary?
    HotSpots are wi-fi connections for laptops and now wi-fi enabled cell-phones. They allow you to connect to the internet using a shared wi-fi connection. Whether it cost you anything extra or not depends on who owns the HotSpot. At T-mobile hotspots you can choose to pay by the hour, the day, the week, the month, or add it to an existing account as a feature add-on.

Zo

dgon2202 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24215ef5

ooooh allrrigght thats cool lol
    i dont have the internect/email plan for my curve..and i use my wifi alot at home.. wat u thinks best buy the plan or hotspotS?
    thnks .

dbh1 no está en línea Stack level 2

You would think tmobile cell phone clients would have very preferred pricing at the tmobile owned hotspots (let's abbreviate as Starbucks) and for $10-20 a month for the AtHome service, I would have thought this would be included, at least for wifi access on the phone. I guess not. How is blackberry email treated while at Starbucks?

If I pay for Hotspot@Home, do I get free UMA at international Starbucks? If not, I assume the service can't tell the difference between my home and a friends' in London?

When using UMA at Starbucks, do I need to set it up or are the profiles ready to go? I.e., can I just walk in, order a coffee, and start dialing?

BTW, for anyone that is curious, the Linksys tmobile router works amazing. The UMA signal in my house compares with POTS. However, I have not had such good luck with regular routers at friends' homes.

nealpolshuk no está en línea Stack level 3

Smile Re: Using 8320 as tethered modem at t-mobile hotspot

Instructions on how to use your BBerry as a Tethered Modem is located here: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...%200%201132277

nealpolshuk no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs up Re: Using 8320 as tethered modem at t-mobile hotspot

Tethered Modem Instructions.... worked for me... 1st try...

Task 1
    Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later on the computer.
    When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that allow the BlackBerry device to communicate through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
    Note: If upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.
    Task 2
    Set up an Internet APN.
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. Click on Change Settings.
    6. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
    7. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"
    Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile customers only:
    The Extra initialization command is: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
    Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.
    1. Click OK.
    2. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.
    Task 3
    To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that is appropriate to the operating system you are using:
    Windows Vista
    Go to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Phone and Modem Options
    If opening Phone and Modem Options for the first time, a dialog box displays prompting you to enter an area code and access codes.
    Windows XP operating system
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    Windows 2000 operating system
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile customers only:
    Under the networking tab in the properties window for the dial-up connection, Enable LCP Extensions must be unchecked, as well as every other box beneath the PPP window.
    1. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    2. Click Next.
    3. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    4. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    5. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    6. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    7. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    8. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    9. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    10. In the Properties window, click OK.

Task 4
    After creating the dial-up network connection, open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Connection Settings from the Options menu. Instead of selecting USB-PIN, select the COM port (COM3 for example). Check Enable USB-to-serial converter compatibility.
    Important: Do not click on Detect. Click OK instead. BlackBerry Desktop Manager shows disconnected. You should now be able to connect successfully.
    Note: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.
    If Microsoft Outlook® is not operating in cache mode, you might receive a message indicating that BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot contact the messaging server. If this message appears, click Cancel to proceed.

Task 5
    Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
    Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry® Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    4. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider.
    5. Click Dial.

schindlb no está en línea Stack level 1

I am trying to set up the tethered modem on my 8320 (carrier TMO). I've followed similar instructions from several other sources - with the execption that task 4 in the previous post is the first time i've seen that instruction. Seems like that might be the ticket except for one issue - I can't pick the com port assoicated with the standard modem (Com4) in the list of ports. It was USB; the other choices are COM1 and COM3. Any suggestions? TIA.

mwhitlow no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlb View Post
    I am trying to set up the tethered modem on my 8320 (carrier TMO). I've followed similar instructions from several other sources - with the execption that task 4 in the previous post is the first time i've seen that instruction. Seems like that might be the ticket except for one issue - I can't pick the com port assoicated with the standard modem (Com4) in the list of ports. It was USB; the other choices are COM1 and COM3. Any suggestions? TIA.
    I am having the same issue,has anyone got any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast