One of the pins in the USB port bent and broke when I tried to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

aircooled no está en línea Stack level 1

USB port repair

Advertisement

One of the pins in the USB port bent and broke when I tried to straighten it, and of course the phone is out of warranty. So I thought no problem I'll just fix it my self, what a pain (and it still isn't fixed) bought a new port took it apart and I'm ready, until I find out that the tip on my soldering iron is to big to get in to unsolder the old port and they don't sell one smaller. Has anyone ever done this repair themselves? If not who did you have fix it.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Try BB Repair Shop, Houston TX
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jergrif73 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had the same thing happen, except I held out until two pins broke and I could no longer charge it...So I bought a new USB port...Opening my Curve was the most difficult aspect not having the right torque drive...Anyway, I used a 15 watt iron to try to release the broken port...I wasnt getting enough heat, so eventually my patience wore thin and I got a pai of needle nose pliers and gentally broke the port away...Then I was able to get my iron in for clean up and used a small lat head screwdriver to clean out the four slots that the USB port legs sit in...After seating the port, I had quite a hard time getting the five wires to glom onto the existing solder at the board...But more patience and a bit of pressure onto the port and thereby the board, I was able to get it....I couldn't really get the iron to the solder on the board to connect the ive wires, so I held the iron to each wire and let the heat from the wires attract the solder that was left on the board...

I hope this helps....and oh by the way, this was my first time ever doing this, so it can't be all that difficult as I am no wizard.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    We have done the repair and continue to do it here in our shop. We had to special order a small tip for our soldering iron in order to handle the contact size and placement. Be very careful not to tear any pads in the process of removing the port. Repairing the port itself is not an option usually. Good luck with the repair if you are performing it. The outside two contacts seem to be the primary charge contacts for the car and wall but not the PC.

Zo

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Radio Shack adjustable soddering iron but dont go to high on the heat, i dont have the model number on me.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional
    BB parts for purchase.

http://www.gsm4world.us/blackberry-c-131_0.html

I think this is the soldering gun Rashard was talking about. It's the one I like to use because it will take a 1mm tip.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062753
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    I have used a regular "diaper pin" and heated it, and then used it to do the repair.

*HINT* Don't hold the pin in your hand!
    Use vice grips if you have some.
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by SVT Cobra View Post
    I have used a regular "diaper pin" and heated it, and then used it to do the repair.

*HINT* Don't hold the pin in your hand!
    Use vice grips if you have some.

it wasn't USED wasit? eeeewww.
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by boomermarkovich View Post
    it wasn't USED wasit? eeeewww.
    Would that make it stick better
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

fondoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A26BE1
    This seems to be a common issue. I had the same problem when my bb8300 wasn't charging. I contact att and the sent me a refurb phone even when my warrenty expired.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~