I plugged in my usb wire to my computer to charge my phone but it ... BlackBerry Curve forum

hiphop101 no está en línea Stack level 2

USB charge for Curve

Advertisement

I plugged in my usb wire to my computer to charge my phone but it didnt work. My computer is new.

Torqued no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: USB charge for Curve

Have you loaded the RIM software on your PC? I believe you need the RIM USB drivers loaded to get it to charge properly.

HanHookie no está en línea Stack level 2

Do you have the Desktop Manager software installed on this 'new' computer? I remember my phone being charged via my usb port only after I installed the Desktop Managing software... the specific driver needed to charge the BB via a usb port of prolly included w/ the install. I could be wrong...but try to install the software...that might work.

hiphop101 no está en línea Stack level 2

i downloaded the manager thing (not on computer) already.

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

I found that it depends on how you're connected to the PC. Some internal cards apparently don't provide the same current to their respective USB ports, and the situation is worse if you're using an unpowered USB hub, as the power available to the USB ports through these is limited.

Depending on whether or not you have enough power available via the USB port you're connecting to, the BB may not charge properly. I've found it to be rather finicky.

On my custom desktop PC (ASUS motherboard), I've got a pair of USB ports on the front of the case, and I've also installed an add-on 5-port USB card in the machine. Turns out that when I plug the Curve into one of the two front ports, it acts as if it's charging at first - but never finishes - and the blackberry actually gave me a warning message as I recall. When I plug it into one of the 5 ports on the Intel add-on USB multi-port card, it charges happily, with or without Desktop Manager running.

In the end, if you have the right connection to your pc, and the USB port you're using is powered, it will work just fine.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Just an FYI, the Blackberry does not charge when plugged into the USB of a Linux machine. You need to install a program that boosts the current of the USB up to 500ma.

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

FYI .....This surprised me but I used my pearl USB cord to charge my 8830 and it would not charge the phone. Used the 8830 USB cord and worked fine. Switched to the pearl USB cord again just to verify and it would not charge the 8830. Any thoughts?

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by jpl572103
    FYI .....This surprised me but I used my pearl USB cord to charge my 8830 and it would not charge the phone. Used the 8830 USB cord and worked fine. Switched to the pearl USB cord again just to verify and it would not charge the 8830. Any thoughts?
    Maybe a defective cord. All Blackberrys charge the same way. The chargers and cords are interchangeable.

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

Thats what I thought. Blackberry is Blackberry like Chevrolet is Chevrolet but then I decided to try the 110 volt power cord and that proved to me that I must use the power cords (USB/110v) that came with the specific device because the Pearl power cord WILL NOT charge my 8830 either. Maybe the phone is too smart ?

Dream Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

I have all shapes and sizes of usb cords, some BB and some not, but they ALL work with no problem on an unpowered cheap usb hub. .... go figure.
    If you're going to dream - Dream Large!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

If it is not a PC issue that is causing this problem, then it is more than likely that you will need to install the latest version of the DM. I would suggest NOT installing the DM that came with your device.
    It would be helpful if you would post your device info in your profile and we could be of more assistance.
    I'd be happy to send you a link to the latest DM once I have your device info.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Dream Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by lavagirl669
    I'd be happy to send you a link to the latest DM once I have your device info.
    Sorry I could'nt resist - it must have been late.
    If you're going to dream - Dream Large!