I'm now running OS 4.3, what differences will I see when I go to OS ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Upgrading to OS 4.5

Advertisement

I'm now running OS 4.3, what differences will I see when I go to OS 4.5, and can someone tell me what the .xml file does and why do I have to remove it before installing an OS from another carrier.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You'll add HTML e-mails and the Docs2Go application by upgrading to 4.5.

I believe that you need to delete the vendor.xml file to prevent locking your phone to the wrong carrier.

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    You can see some differences.. other than the ones mentioned above, the way it looks its a bit different.. Just little changes and improvements.

blackberryjay no está en línea Stack level 3
    the emails look very savvy...4.5 is very nice..the themes for 4.5 are cooler too...a little more futuristic looking too....
    "The only person you are destined to be is the person you decide to be."

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    In general, its a good upgrade.

npieters no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm using Verizon, is it safe for me to do this upgrade?

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Its safe for anyone to do the upgrade it really depends on the apps you use and whether they will still work on 4.5 me personally I reverted back because one of the apps I use is not compatible yet,

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've found the 4.5.0.77 OS to be much more responsive than 4.3.0.127. The only app I've used that doesn't work yet is the BBSmart Email Viewer. I've got HTML email but I miss the add to calendar/add to task functionality. I can wait for them to catch up. The vendor.xml files will be located in c:\program files\common files\reasearch in motion\apploader delete the file from there and your set to begin upgrading. There may be one directory prior to the apploader folder. Can't remembr off the top of my head. The boot time of 4.5.0.77 was about 2 1/2 min faster than 4.3.0.127. Had two Curves until one went swimming.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    tavella 81, what's not working for you with BBSmart email viewer? I am running 4.5.0.77 and it works for me, the only issue is emails with attachments don't work properly, usually display in normal BB format not BBsmart format. Otherwise it works great. I had to make sure the Enable HTML Email in email settings was set to "No" because when it was set to yes it was interfering.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    The BBsmart view did not work with 4.5.0.5(1/2 I forget which) and I didn't try with .66 or .77. I don't want to give up the full HTML capability of the email at this time. I sent a message to the company and they stated they are working on a version for 4.5. I do miss the add to calendar and add to task options.

Afrojoe no está en línea Stack level 1
    Okay, so where do you find the 4.5 upgrades, and are they generic for all providers? One other question, will it wipe out all of the apps I currently have on my 8330?
    Jerome

May your battery life be long, and your BlackBerry be fruitful.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrojoe View Post
    Okay, so where do you find the 4.5 upgrades, and are they generic for all providers? One other question, will it wipe out all of the apps I currently have on my 8330?
    Jerome,

You can get an official release of 4.5.0.77 for your device here. Yes, as long as the OS is specifically for your device, it doesn't matter who the provider is. Simply follow the instructions in this thread to install.

The upgrade process backs up your device, including 3rd party apps. You might want to check to make sure your apps are compatible with the 4.5 OS and you might have to re-register most if not all of them after the upgrade.

Let us know if you need any assistance.

Roger