I currently have an 8320 on Tmobile, I've had it about a year, not on ... BlackBerry Curve forum

smanky no está en línea Stack level 1

upgrade from 8320?

Advertisement

I currently have an 8320 on Tmobile, I've had it about a year, not on countract. I replaced the battery yesterday because the old one was really wonky and kept shutting off the phone. Things seem to be going ok now, but I haven't done too much with it since I put in the new battery.

I was thinking about switching to the G1 or the MyTouch for the faster 3G speeds, because browsing on the 8320 isn't exactly speedy, but I just moved to a place where I get an extremely week or nonexistent cell signal... so I'm thinking I should stick with a UMA phone so I can receive calls/texts at home.

The only decent UMA smartphone that T-mobile has is the Curve 8900. So I'm wondering if it's really worth it to upgrade? I know the 8900 has gps, which would be nice, but I usually do alright w/ the cell tower triangulation on the 8320, and maps wouldn't load any faster because it's still EDGE. What are some other features that would make it worthwhile to get the 8900? Is the stock browser any better? Is the opera browser reliable? It often crashes on me with the 8320.

I could always just stay with the 8320 and not upgrade at all, but if the 8900 is more stable (doesn't freeze, mess up keys sometimes where it needs a hard reset, doesn't really lag, etc) I would definitely want to look into it.

If I get the 8900 I could sell the 8320 (assuming my problem was a battery issue and not something that got messed up in the hardware), which would save me some money. If I went with the G1/MyTouch, I was gonna keep the 8320 for going out of the country.

The other thing I could do if there's no significant difference between the two is get the G1/MyTouch and switch out SIMs when I'm home. That could get annoying, but I'd been doing that over the past week with an unlocked iphone, until I got my battery yesterday (phone would stay on if it was plugged into the wall). I'd have to see if the bb and g1 internet plans are interchangeable too.

The one thing I really like about blackberry is that it pulls the email from the server, vs pushing with other phones. After using the iphone, I've decided I like most things about it except the whole phone/text/email part, which, you know, is kind of important in a phone.

So I'm kind of torn about what to do. I don't want to get into a 2 year contract with a phone that's almost the same as one I have either (haven't called for the one-year contract price), but sometimes the 8320 really annoys me when it freezes/lags. And I really want to be able to receive calls at home.

Want2CBetter no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    262678bf

Love the 8900

About a month ago I upgraded to the 8900. I had been bumping into the memory capacity on my 8320 and switched primarily for that reason.

I have been very pleasantly surprised - the phone looks great, fits better in the hand, runs faster and can hold many more programs (at 4 times the memory capacity of the 8320). It also has both Wifi and GPS.

It helped that I basically got the 8900 for free too. I sold my 8320 on eBay for $190 after buying the 8900 for $150 plus tax..... not bad.

4x the amount of memory is good. Though I don't have that many programs on my 8320 at present.

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I just upgraded to the 8900 from the 8320 and I must say that I am VERY impressed so far. OS 4.6 is worlds better than 4.5 and the new hardware is better as well; faster processing speed will help rid of that constant hourglass that used to pop up on mine.
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

What enhancements did they add to 4.6? I do detest that hourglass.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    The biggest advantages to the 8900 are faster processing speed, sharper screen, more memory capacity, and it's a much better feel in the hands. Overall it's probably one of the best on the market. I bought mine a while back and I've absolutely loved it. I don't have 3G reception in my area for close to 30 miles in either direction, so it was definitely not a deciding factor in switching from my 8120 (which I also loved). The GPS feature is very nice as so many apps use GPS location to enhance their features: AmazeGPS, WeatherBug, Where, Poynt. The faster processing speed does make a difference in web page loading, so that's a plus for me too.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Also the 8900 sports a 3.2 mp camera with auto focus. Not a huge deal but an extremely nice perk. I'm very satisfied with mine.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Also the 8900 sports a 3.2 mp camera with auto focus. Not a huge deal but an extremely nice perk. I'm very satisfied with mine.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Yeah it is. I was amazed at the difference between the 8900's camera and my 8120's.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    I absolutely loved the 8900, but in the end, I didn't consider it enough of an upgrade... for me. I think it is an all-round better device, but not enough of a jump for me.

I played around with it and then took it back. I have an insane amount of software on my 8320, and switching it over and stuff...

I still love the 8900...

grapemist no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Posted
    Okay guys-

Is it me or does the 8320 have much better sound? My ringtones sound much cleaner on my 8320. On the 8900 it get a bit of static with the sound. The speakerphone is so much better on the 8320. I thought about giving my 8320 to my sister but now im contemplating sending the 8900 back. I dont know.

rand0m no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    The biggest advantages to the 8900 are faster processing speed, sharper screen, more memory capacity, and it's a much better feel in the hands. Overall it's probably one of the best on the market. I bought mine a while back and I've absolutely loved it. I don't have 3G reception in my area for close to 30 miles in either direction, so it was definitely not a deciding factor in switching from my 8120 (which I also loved). The GPS feature is very nice as so many apps use GPS location to enhance their features: AmazeGPS, WeatherBug, Where, Poynt. The faster processing speed does make a difference in web page loading, so that's a plus for me too.
    like everyone said.. the device is really well rounded. I converted from the 8320 and never regretted it. The camera like many have mentioned is a huge upgrade. It's great having a phone, pmp, gps and camera in one.

dnptorres no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had the 8320 for only 5 months before getting rid of it for the 8900 which I originally wanted but didn't have the cash at the time. I had the original Pearl and wanted to upgrade but I found that the Curve 8320 was just like the Pearl with a bigger screen and full keyboard. Not much memory and it froze almost daily. The 8900 is a great upgrade. I've dropped much fewer calls (but then again, it's T-Mobile), sound quality is far better on Wifi, and no freezes so far. The only time I've had to remove the battery and restart is when installing or removing apps.

Having said that, the only thing I don't like about the new Curve is how softly it vibrates. I sometimes don't notice that its vibrating even when its in my pocket. I have to put it on certain surfaces that reverberate the vibrations so I can hear (and feel) it.
    I've never had 3G so I don't know exactly how fast its supposed to be. I'm satisfied with Edge and Wifi so its not a big deal. However, if the place you're at has a weak signal, I'd probably go with something that has 3G. Because underneath it all the new Curve might be super for me, because I have fairly good consistent signal, but it may end up being an expensive paperweight for you where you have a weak signal.

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    had my 8320 for about 3 months and i just loved it never really had any issues at all but the browser was pretty slow and i agree the sound is tons better than the 8900..i got my 8900 about a month ago and it RULES, the browser is much faster and pages look awesome. on wifi with the 8900 its wicked fast and with tmoble if you pay 10.00 a month you can get unlimited calls through wifi which is pretty sweet. i kept the 8320 because its brand new but after a month with the 8900 i really dont see the reason to keep it. The 8900 just looks and feels more solid..i would say maybe sell the 8320 buy a 8900 from this sight or others so your not straped for 2 years with 3g coming out with tmoble...hope this helps

camshafter

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    I've gone through an 8100, an 8320, an 8220, and am now on my 8900. This is by far my fave. Fast processor, great camera, sweet screen, I could go on and on!
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100