Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So yesterday night i decided to upgrade the software on my 8320. I had a ... BlackBerry Curve forum

stuntfoto no está en línea Stack level 1

Upgrade to 4.3.1.1.2 Address Book Issue! Help!

Advertisement

So yesterday night i decided to upgrade the software on my 8320. I had a Blackberry device 4.0 version before, but believed it was time for an update. It took about half an hour but everything completed successfully and i restored all my txt's and contacts.

Here's the problem...

The address book now displays each name with TWO rows, one for name, one for business. Even if that contact does not have a business name in their info, the address book STILL wastes two rows. Because of this the screen can only display 5 contacts at once without scrolling. Yes, i have looked in options. As well as everywhere else that this setting could be hiding. . Is anybody else bothered by this? More importantly, has anybody figured out how to change this to the old style formatting??

The old version 4.0 never did this, everything was on 1 line and i could see about 15 names per screen. With well over 300 contacts, this is taking me forever to scroll (i understand i could use letter hotkeys) But i really want to get rid of this double space. Please has anyone found a fix for this, do you have any idea how to return it to the old single spaced address book?

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    is there a 4.5 os for the 8320? if so i would upgrade to it.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack, stuntfoto!

Didn't realize the 4.3 OS did this as well, but yes, this is a "feature" of the new OS's. Many of us are now on a 4.5 release of the OS, so it sounds like this is an enhancement to the the address book from 4.3 up.

Unfortunately the only way around this would be to go back to an earlier release, but with all the new features available on later releases, I think this one minor irritation is worth it!

By the way, the latest official release of the the OS for your device is 4.5.0.81, which you'll find here. 4.3 and later releases brings you the following:

• BlackBerry Maps with Points of Interest (H)
    • Improved media player with playlist support and automatic playlist generation (H)
    • Voice note recording (H)
    • Video recording on Curve models (H)
    • Streaming support for YouTube and Sling Player (H)
    • Microsoft Office document editing with DocumentsToGo (H)
    • Native format attachment downloading (S)
    • HTML e-mails (S)
    • Over-the-air device upgrades (S)
    • Free/busy calendar lookup (S)
    • Searching the server for old e-mail messages (S)

H=Handheld Upgrade
    S=Server Side Upgrade (BlackBerry Internet Service)

PIN/ID
    wut?
    ^^^da man!

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    is there a 4.5 os for the 8320? if so i would upgrade to it.

The Blackberry Desktop Manager OS is now 4.6.0.14 used to be 3.5a

The Device Manager (phone firmware) is now 4.3.1.12, it used to be 4.0.X.X

I believe i am using the newest most updated firmware and desktop manager (which is probably the reason this is happening)

Quote Originally Posted by stuntfoto View Post
    The Blackberry Desktop Manager OS is now 4.6.0.14 used to be 3.5a

The Device Manager (phone firmware) is now 4.3.1.12, it used to be 4.0.X.X

I believe i am using the newest most updated firmware and desktop manager (which is probably the reason this is happening)
    4.6 is definitely the latest DM, but 4.3 is definitely not the latest OS!
    Last edited by RogerG; 10-22-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    4.6 is definitely the latest DM, but as my post points out, 4.3 is not the latest OS!
    ^^thx da man (still frustrated tho)

I got my updates straight from the Tmobile.com website / support / blackberry.
    I didn't get it from na.blackberry.com because i wasn't sure if it was compatible with tmobile (8320).

the latest pack they had on there was 4.3 OS

Is there maybe an address book tweak, or an address book theme swap. Maybe an option to disable the doublespace or a hack in the OS i can do? Is there anything on this planet that will get rid of this doublespace.

I don't have the data plan so i dont use the internet/youtube/ maps too often on this phone, i use it strictly for SMS and phone calls. which is why this address book problem is getting at me. I really don't want to downgrade my OS (if i even can)

any recommendation anyone, is your phonebook doublespaced too?

That's surprising because TMO is one carrier who has the 4.5.0.81 release available.

I also have the double space "feature" and frankly, it doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, I don't know of any setting within the device to alter the display.

Roger

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    I wish there was an option not to display both lines as well. There should be.
    Mapquest Navigator's search function only searches the last name field, so I must paste the company name in the last name field.
    When I upgraded I was surprised to see what I at first thought were double entries for well over a hundred contacts. At least one is in bold type.

4.5 is on t-mos site now for the 8320. I too think it went from 4.2 to 4.5, as I was checking for the last few days in anticipation.

Downgrading is relatively simple, just search the forums. I did after experiencing weird shutdowns with the official, but not t-mo 4.5 release.

I found the speaker volume much lower in 4.5, as have others. Again, using Mapquest nightly for work has me holding off on the t-mo 4.5.
    Last edited by galavanter; 10-22-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Does anyone know the last possible or most recent release that DOES NOT have the double space feature?

Am i able to downgrade my OS?

This is so frustrating, i think we should have the option to doublespace the phonebook if we want to.

We should revolt and writeup a complaint!

T-Mobile_BlackBerry_8320_4.5.0.81.exe is now the most recent but i still think it's doublespaced with no option to single space.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    T-Mobile 4.5 OS Official Release Info: http://tmonews.com/2008/10/blackberr...ftware-update/
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

4.2.2.18 is what you want to downgrade to for t-mo 8320. You do have the Curve right? I'm rather certain that 4.3 was never up for download for the Curve on t-mos site.
    Last edited by galavanter; 10-22-2008 at 10:57 PM.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    i don't understand why yours are listed twice

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    You can downgrade your OS. As long as I've been a member on here and as many posts as I've seen, I haven't seen anyone have an issue with the double-spacing (showing the name & company info of each contact). I personally like it but I agree, there should be an option for you to turn it on or off but there was probably an overwhelming request for the feature and not enough of a reason to spend the time creating an option.

Sometimes you don't like new features when you see them but why don't you give it a few days and see if it is really that big of a deal. The additional features the newest OS's provide far outweigh an extra space in an address book app.
    Last edited by KalebsDad78; 10-22-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

But it is a little disconcerting, when one has hundreds of contacts, to see double rows for each, and a waste of screen space.

Also, additional features are only helpful if you use them. Video recording, I don't need. A speaker that I can hear when driving? Essential. The op wants one line for each contact in address book. More than that is redundant to many I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78 View Post
    The additional features the newest OS's provide far outweigh an extra space in an address book app.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast