Greetings, all - This quesiton is admittedly from lack of experience with Blackberry but today ... BlackBerry Curve forum

atmegaist no está en línea Stack level 1

Update Notification Question

Advertisement

Greetings, all -

This quesiton is admittedly from lack of experience with Blackberry but today I received a message on my Curve (the text in my inbox for that message was red instead of the standard black) prompting me to perform an update. It didn't necessarily seem suspicious but I thought these devices would update "behind the scenes" automatically... why would this require a connection to a computer or explicitly commanding the phone to perform the update? Has anyone else seen this?

It's just that the phone is CONSTANTLY connecting to the internet and upon consulting my service provider I was told it was because of the updates. Just wondering why this happens so often and if others have ecperienced the same?

Thanks!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    My big question is what is it asking you to update? The update should have listed what application needed updating. As far as updating behind the scenes, no, Blackberry devices always (well, I should say in my experience they have since there is probably an application out there that auto-updates) the software installed on the phone by notifying the user there is an update and letting the user decided when and whether to download and apply the update. Some always connected software may stop working if the update is not applied but I haven't seen one that updates the actual application without notifying the user first.

As for the constant connecting, that may not be truly an update of an application but just updating data that the application uses to provide the information it does (i.e. Weather). The data is updated automatically in the background. You will also see it doing that if you use any always connected software (i.e. Yahoo Messenger) as it receives updates in the background.

Zo

Amigotek -

Thanks for the reply!

I see what you're saying about the background updating of data instead of application modifications so that takes care of that.

Regarding the update message I'll just post it verbatim below:

"A new software update is available for your BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone. The update includes the following features:

-Device display updates to identify which caller you are speaking to when switching from one call to another.

-Updated audio alerts for voice calls.

-Updated alarm settings.

To get the update, you will need to either: (i) connect your BlackBerry Curve smartphone to your computer via a USB cable and visit www.blackberry.com/update from your computer, or (ii) from the home screen of your BlackBerry Curve smartphone click on the Options icon, then click Advanced Options, then click Wireless Updates to complete an over-the-air upgrade. Please note that while the software update is available free of charge, performing an over-the-air upgrade when roaming outside of your service area may incur data usage charges.

Thank you,
    Sprint Spectrum LP"

I have 3 email accounts routed to my phone and this stated it was received using "Unknown" also the text was in red. This leads me to believe it truly is a system-generated message as it would take some fairly impressive hacking to make such a message appear this way from an anonymous 3rd party. (Guess we shouldn't dismiss it though).

Anyway, I've had the phone for a couple of years now and just haven't seen anything like this before. It just seems that a mass calling for software downloads to fix alarm settings and audio alerts wouldn't really justify Blackberry's cost,time,server load, etc...

Thanks again for the info

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    What you are recieving is a new feature that was introduced in the new 5.0 OS along with the upgrades on the back end with the BIS. Instead of consumers running the same software and never knowing there is a newer version, RIM now can send a notification message out to all users of a specific device at one time. I got one on my 9700 and was perplexed for a little bit myself.

Basically you can choose to ignore it and not upgrade or use DM (5.0 or newer will automatically download the update to your computer) or the link provided to update the software. I definitely would recommend doing a backup prior to starting the process.

Zo

Amigotek -

Many thanks for your time and clarity. Awaiting download/install completion as we "speak"!

Thanks again