Hmmm. Debating about buying an unlocked Curve and not being tied down for 3years (canada ... BlackBerry Curve forum

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired

Question Unlocked or Provider Curve...hmmmm

Advertisement

Hmmm.
    Debating about buying an unlocked Curve and not being tied down for 3years (canada sucks for this) or buying an unlocked (unbranded also) curve.

If I go with the carrier I can probably get some service if there are troubles and I have red some of them on here.

If I go with the unlocked, and something goes wrong.... bye bye money !!! Does anyone know if RIM support a warranty from individuals?

So.... what have you all done? Carrier or unlocked from elsewhere...

Thanks !!

userlan667 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Unlocked or Provider Curve...hmmmm

I bought a BB 8300 from AT&T but payed full price for it and unlocked it my self. If you are going to get a unlocked one though I would get it from http://www.mobilecityonline.com/. On there website they say that RIM has a "1 Year Limited Warranty." and to "see manufacturer’s website for details." I am shore that if you get a unlocked one and something goes wrong you can send it to RIM.

PIN/ID
    retired

gotcha, hopefully nothing will go wrong. I have an 8700 that is unlocked and it has been fine, but I also got it after they had been out for a while.

I checked out that store and its expensive, or i am getting it for CHEAP !!!

Thanks for the insight !

mbusaboi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FF4F8A

You could also get one on Ebay.ca unlocked from someone that advertises as a SquareTrade member so you can purchase the additional 3 year warranty for 10% of the item's selling price. SquareTrade's warranty is great, easy, and inexpensive.

Hope that helps. I got my unlocked AT&T branded Curve for use on TMO and love it.

Good luck!

PIN/ID
    retired

Agree, that actually how I got my 8700 was from a good ebay [or so I thought] company that advertised a NEW phone. Well I got a 8700 that works, but had dings and nicks out of it. And because I am CDN ordering from the US, I can charged over 80 in taxes and duty on the thing, so it wasn't that great of a deal afterall. I was going to send it back, but I knew I would get hit again on the taxes and duty on the replacement .... just my luck : )

VP
    VP no está en línea Stack level 2

im getting really tired of waiting for tmo im about to give up and get a wing...

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Where have you guys gotten your Curve unlocked?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    retired

the one I am looking at is already unlocked. You can find places on ebay, and if you are lucky you can sometimes find postings for bored wireless employees who will do it for you for nothin

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Where might I find one of those?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    retired

keep an eye on the new posts... I have seen ee's say they are bored and will unlock any BB as long as you send them the ID from your phone. If you want to pay to get it done, just check ebay and there are lots of companies that will do it for you.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

I got my curve and it's working well with T-mobile .. Purchased the unlock code earlier today and got the code in about 8 hours!!!! I got it remotely unlocked.

Now I'm enjoying my new device

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by darryl71
    If I go with the unlocked, and something goes wrong.... bye bye money !!! Does anyone know if RIM support a warranty from individuals?
    Nope. Warranty support is through your carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    Where have you guys gotten your Curve unlocked?
    I've always used GSMphoneSource in cases where my carrier couldn't unlock.

PIN/ID
    retired

Flash. Glad you got in unlocked, might as well when you are with the carrier, but your device was purchased from the carrier correct? So it IS under warranty, even if its unlocked. Any problems with your curves ??? (BB only haahaaa)

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by darryl71
    Flash. Glad you got in unlocked, might as well when you are with the carrier, but your device was purchased from the carrier correct? So it IS under warranty, even if its unlocked. Any problems with your curves ??? (BB only haahaaa)
    I don't have warranty on mine, I'm not sure if I can put warranty on it since it's from AT&T and I cancelled my warranty from my 8700g a while ago so I can't transfer it. I'm not really having any issues but I've notice my reception dropping frequently, this never happened to my 8700g. Not sure what's goin on.