I am considering buying a new 'berry for my wife (her Pearl is on its ... BlackBerry Curve forum

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Unlocked 8900 working on ATT?

Advertisement

I am considering buying a new 'berry for my wife (her Pearl is on its last legs), and I am leaning towards the 8900. My concern would be that since this phone isnt released on any carrier in the US, ATT wont support it. More specifically, can anyone confirm that ATT will push the necessary service books to an international (UK, Canada, etc.) 8900? I dont want to have to delete vendor files or do any kind of tweaking, I am hoping I can just pop in her SIM and all will be well. Thoughts?

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro
    T-Mobile will release it in the US next month. You will be able to use it on AT&T once you get it unlocked. After you do so, you will need to send service books to the device and it should work just fine, with all the services supported by AT&T. If you ever decide to upgrade the OS, you will certainly need to delete the vendor.xml file. There is no way around that, but it only takes a second to do.

An unlocked 8900 is available now from Canada and Tmo UK, and it will be no different than the US Tmo unlocked coming out next month. My concern is that I thought the carrier needed to push the service books out. I was not aware you could get them yourself, how would I find ATT service books for an unlocked 8900? Thanks!

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    On a totally different note, I spoke to one of the sales rep from AT&Apple yesterday and he told me that they'll also be releasing the 8900. I was gonna do the same thing; unlock it but I'd much rather wait since i've been done for an upgrade since a little before the bold came out.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

puertoricokris no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    any word on when at&t will be releasing the 8900? i work at best buy and a mobile rep said it was coming out for at&t but hasn't heard when.

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    You can use any Blackberry on your service provider as long as they have a BIS plan.

You just have to manually load the service books if they do not carry that BB, like Tmo Bold users had to do when it first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMrRadio View Post

So she already has an active BB on ATT. The first link seems to be a "get started" kind of thing, does it matter if there is already an active device on the account? Also, are the service books ATT specific or will the BB site simply load the most recent?