I have a BB 8300 that I bought when they were first released and needless ... BlackBerry Curve forum

phathead no está en línea Stack level 2

Unlocked 8900

Advertisement

I have a BB 8300 that I bought when they were first released and needless to say it's time for a replacement. I am on AT&T and have grown wary waiting for the 8900 to be released so I have been eyeballing unlocked 8900s on eBay. I can live without the AT&T apps, but I'm more concerned of making sure everything works properly before I throw any money done it on it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

blackman711 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Yes, I bought an 8900 on ebay. The seller on ebay ships it locked and when the buyer receives it and confirms the imei # he emails the unlock code. The one I purchased was locked to T-Mobile. I was replacing my 8320 which I bought from T-Mobile directly over a year ago and I was also using it on AT&T. No problems at all, just unlock it if it is locked, put in your AT&T sim card, set your APN settings, resend service books, that's it works great.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I did the same with a TM 8320. I had a buddy who still had TM @ the time and he called and got the code for me from them, works great no issue whatsoever!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

beglait no está en línea Stack level 1

What are APNs and service books?

I want to get an 8900 for use w/ AT&T but I understand that it has to be configured (in addition to being unlocked) to use AT&T's internet settings. How do I do that or are the APNs & service books the answer? Thanks.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    The apn settings are easy, someone on the stacks will give them to you and they'll take 30 seconds to input... the rest is practically clockwork, the service books come in automatically...
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 05-01-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    i see RED...

8900 & apn settings

Thanks for the info. But sorry to be dense, I presume that "someone in the stacks" means someone on Pinstack. So, do I just purchase the unlocked 8900 and ask for guidance on Pinstack again? Thanks.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by beglait View Post
    Thanks for the info. But sorry to be dense, I presume that "someone in the stacks" means someone on Pinstack. So, do I just purchase the unlocked 8900 and ask for guidance on Pinstack again? Thanks.
    yes, the only one thing you'll need to enter is the APN under the TCP/IP... and that, i can find for you just by asking around... everything else is practically automatic.

you set up a BIS account and add your email addresses, all the service books will come in automatically. the browser doesnt need to be configured and any and all apps will function without the need of any specific steps...

its literally that simple... if you run into any problem, then "someone on the stacks" aka people like me on pinstack are sitting around waiting for you to ask a question so we can help you out...
    i see RED...

8900 & apn settings

Thanks very much. I already have an 8110 with me 2 email accounts setup. I presume that the 8900 will see them automatically or do I go through that setup again? What is BIS? Really---thanks much.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Thanks very much. I already have an 8110 with me 2 email accounts setup. I presume that the 8900 will see them automatically or do I go through that setup again? What is BIS? Really---thanks much.
    BIS is blackberry internet services... this is basically the personal account setup for blackberries as opposed to BES which is used with an enterprise email account... if you're using your blackberry for personal use, you are already set up on a BIS (this is good )

the one thing you will have to do since you have a previous blackberry is go into the "email settings" icon, log in to your blackberry account, and click on "switch device" then enter the PIN and IMEI for your new device to transfer your services to the 8900... this is a pretty simple step and should only take a couple of mins... once done, you'll be good to go...
    i see RED...

Thank you very, very much. I'll be in touch after I get the phone. You've made the switch a whole lot easier in m mind.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    just thought of something else... if you're going to have both devices in hand when you come back with your new 8900, you can use the "device switch wizard" from the blackberry desktop manager and it will transfer anything and everything over to the new guy (including emails, contacts, apps, appointments, the works...) and thats just a 3 step walk in the park...

i see RED...

I've had the 8900 for 5 days now and it seems that all of my AT&T "stuff" is working fine w/o having to do anything else more than putting in the SIM card & the memory card. However, when I turn on the device, it still shows the T-Mobile logo. Is that correct? And, I don't know what I don't know, if that makes any sense. I mean, are there attributes of the 8900 that could be working better if I did some of the "manual" changes that I have seen on this thread? One more thing, I downloaded AT&T Navigator for the 30-day test period and it takes a minute or so to "log in" each time I use it. Is that normal or is that one of the things that is not working as well as it should? Thanks very much for any help.

KBSPN no está en línea Stack level 2
    I got an unlocked 8900 today to use with At&t. I replaced my 2 year old curve. The switch was simple. Browser worked fine.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    I've had the 8900 for 5 days now and it seems that all of my AT&T "stuff" is working fine w/o having to do anything else more than putting in the SIM card & the memory card. However, when I turn on the device, it still shows the T-Mobile logo. Is that correct? And, I don't know what I don't know, if that makes any sense. I mean, are there attributes of the 8900 that could be working better if I did some of the "manual" changes that I have seen on this thread? One more thing, I downloaded AT&T Navigator for the 30-day test period and it takes a minute or so to "log in" each time I use it. Is that normal or is that one of the things that is not working as well as it should? Thanks very much for any help.
    the T-Mobile logo when starting up your device will not change. It is burned into the device and can not be removed
    Greg
    in Jax, FL