Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, so I had heard about this and figured Id give it a try. I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

HyperM3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Unlock phone for free!

Advertisement

Ok, so I had heard about this and figured Id give it a try.

I just activated my phone on Monday with Cingular. That night, I called customer service and told them that I was traveling to London in a couple weeks for business and needed to unlock my phone to use a SIM out there.

First they check to make sure the phone is compatible. Then they said the phone is quadband(which I knew) and that it would work on the Cingular service out there.

Then I said I didnt want to use my US service, I wanted to use a SIM from out there(vodafone, O2 etc.) and wasnt sure If I was staying longer than just my business trip.

She then asked when I was leaving because this could take up to two weeks to get me the unlock code. I said I was leaving in exactly 2 weeks.

Gave her my email address to send the code to and received it already just now.

Went through the procedures and its now unlocked for free!

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Unlock phone for free!

Yes, cingular unlocks phones for free. They're the only one doing that i think.

poopc4 no está en línea Stack level 2

T-mo will unlock a phone aftyer 90 days, but only 1 phone per number.

So my question is if there is a way to unlock the phone, and cancel the plan without having to return the unlocked phone?

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

if its passed 30 days, you dont have to return the phone.
    Cingular is now the new at&t

friedreich no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by poopc4
    T-mo will unlock a phone aftyer 90 days, but only 1 phone per number.

So my question is if there is a way to unlock the phone, and cancel the plan without having to return the unlocked phone?
    Of course, but if you cancel your contract you will have to pay the cancellation penalty. If there is no contract and you pay full price for the phone, then you can cancel and keep the phone without additional charge. However Cingular does a check to see if you are a new customer, etc. before they will send the unlock code. I have unlocked my last two BBs this way, including my Curve.

Quote Originally Posted by friedreich
    However Cingular does a check to see if you are a new customer, etc. before they will send the unlock code.
    I was unlocking my phone same day as it was activated as a new customer. Doesnt seem that they care.

friedreich no está en línea Stack level 1
    Also, you usually don't have to go through the pretexting. I just called and said, "I need an unlock code for my Curve." Two dys later they sent me the code via email. I should add though that I have been a Cingular customer for, like 10 years. I don't know if that. Makes any difference.

shakuyi no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2425A121

well cingular might be the only one unlocking phones HOWEVER it is against CALIFORNIA law to lock a cell phone so any cell phone sold in the state of cali dont let them fool u by them telling u they cant unlock it its illegal

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Alot of it has to do with how you treat them
    that's what I have noticed
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

yep...i unlocked my phone the day after i bought it - on the phone with ATT CS. they had the code ready then. i didn't even have to wait

not sure about the cali laws - but i agree with kayos - you get more with honey than you do with vinegar

shakuyi no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2425A121

u know coming from an employee it doesnt even matter how you treat them. what it really comes down to....is the person in a bad mood or having a good day. what we like to do is just call and if u dont get the answer your looking for hang up and try again its what we do here in the store. best advice is make them feel sorry for you....especially the insurance agents "hint hint"

jtesnani no está en línea Stack level 3

you definitely should be able to unlock your phone with Tmo. I've been doing it for years and never had to wait for 90 days.

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

There is a new law that all GSM carriers can not deny you from having your phone unlocked. This has been put in place to keep the carriers from making you buy another phone when you have one that can be used on their network. Keep in mind that your account must be in good standing, as well completing your grace period. CDMA networks does not apply due to PRL differences. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jloverg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

i unlock all my bb with tmo with no problem so i dont think its 1 phone a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jloverg
    i unlock all my bb with tmo with no problem so i dont think its 1 phone a year.
    Youre allowed to unlock 1 phone every 90 days on T-Mo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast