Fellow Stackers, I have seen a lot of trackball threads on this forum, but I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mr. ink no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    just ask

universal trackball question

Advertisement

Fellow Stackers,
    I have seen a lot of trackball threads on this forum, but I was wondering, is the trackball universal for all the models? pearl, curve whatever.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

Re: universal trackball question

don't think so...pretty sure the trackball is model specific...the 8300 series seems to be "missing" a c-clip that the 8100 series has...also the 8300s seem to be a teensie weensie bit louder and "looser" where as the 8100s are quieter and "tighter"...those seem to be the only differences...if your question is in regard to being able to swap trackball assemblies i don't see why not...they have the same dimensions...but maybe someone who has actually taken both apart can be of more use...hope this helps

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Actually they are all the same...the build quality of some are a bit sketchy. As magellan is refferring to. They can be interchanged. There isn't a specific trackball per model. The cheapest I have found are at www.cnn.cn for about 12 bucks.

Hope that helps.

jswitzer31 no está en línea Stack level 2

hmm. when I buy one from cnn.cn will i be getting the tight quiet feel of the 8100 series trackball or the loose sketchy feel of the 8300 series trackball?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I think it's the smooth from what I have been hearing. Don't quote me on that though

Hey at least they're cheap and OEM. Before we found that site they were like $55 on a competing site. UGH!

mr. ink no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Thank you for the quick reply.
    I was curious because of the amout of threads I have been reading about this issue. I too have that annoying trackball with the gritty, sandy feeling. So, if they are all the same, I'm planing to order the trackball built for the Pearl. The other day, I was playing with my friends pearl, (AT&T) and she has a solid quality built smooth rolling trackball. On my old Pearl, it's poorly built. Same as my Curve! (TMO) At first, I thought it had something to do with the cell phone provider. Thank you,

-mr. ink