Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just got my 8330 from Telus two days ago, and when I load BB ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dbellirv no está en línea Stack level 2

Unable to Acquire GPS Lock

Advertisement

I just got my 8330 from Telus two days ago, and when I load BB Maps and start the GPS it reads, "Unable to Acquire GPS Lock".

I had an 8703e with Telus before and I know that they allow for GPS functionality. I have uninstalled and reloaded BB Maps a couple of times now with the same message.

Any thoughts? Please? I love using my BB Maps!

Thanks.

tyval no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have used the Maps application on the 8330, and it works fine. But I am with Bell, i wouldn't think Telus would cripple their devices, but ya never know.

That's what I am wondering. I know that Telus doesn't restrict this, so I am thinking it may be a bug or something as the 8330 is so new (CDMA and all).

Does anyone know if BB has direct product support for devices which have problems right out of the box?

D.

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Yes, just call your carriers BB support line...(at least its true for Sprint)
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

vliou no está en línea Stack level 1
    Have you tried...walking outside? I can't get a lock in my house either.
    Vincent L
    Sync your Contacts/Calendar/Notes/Tasks wirelessly from your PC to BB - http://www.thinkpost.net

I have, numerous times. I had an 8703 before and never had coverage problems.

six2six no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30152CC5
    anyone get BB maps to get a gps lock on their telus device?

ERShotty no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3057b8bc
    I just got my Curve about a week ago, having upgraded from the 8130, and I find that my GPS acts either one of two ways:

1) I get no lock if my BB hasn't been reset in a while (a day roughly) *Note: I also have roughly 50mb free at this point. And after a hard/soft reset, GPS Seems to work relatively fast by finding a lock, in BB Maps. When I say relatively fast, I would estimate about 30 seconds to a minute.

2) Using GPSed, which almost is like the "Refresh GPS" option that the CDMA versions of Blackberry's lack, sometimes speeds up the time in which my BB finds a satelite lock.

My Pearl, which I got a second one, because of GPS problems on it before, would find satellites very fast (10 seconds or less), without the a need for constant resetting.

So basically, I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem. Should I take it in? I've done all the troubleshooting out there to no avail. Also, Google Maps (2.1.0) doesn't seem able to use the GPS, even after allowing all connections. All I can get is my location based on Tower Triangulation.

Even after downloading Telus Navigator, which some people say helps "unlock" the GPS functionality, I still have to constantly reset.

Does anyone out there have a Telus BB Curve that has GPS working with Google Maps?
    Ernest Rosales
    Email: erosales@telus.blackberry.net
    Windows Live: kweenzalum03@hotmail.com

I went back to telus and they didn't have a solution to the problem so they swapped the unit. Now I have my new Curve, and still the same problem!

Back on the phone with them and all they can say now is that the product (8330) is new so the network may not be accustomed to it.

I know it's a bs excuse, but what else can I do.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ERShotty no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3057b8bc
    I agree. I just don't know if it's worth my time to go through all the hassle without any definitive answer. It may be a bs excuse, but with all the people reporting problems, it nay have SOME truth to it

adamprobert no está en línea Stack level 1
    Talked to Telus today..managed to get Navigator for free to offset the frustration of not having bbmaps working. So no $10 fee each month. I've spoken to several csr's and the most common answer is that it is an issue with the bb software. For now ill stick with navigator. Easily the best use of the gps on this device.

I have been trying to deal with this with Telus, as my 30 day return period has now expired. I returned my Curve ONE WEEK after purchase and a couple of weeks later got a replacement unit. Still the same problem exists, and my 30 days is up.... even though I started the process 7 days after purchase they are telling me to go to BB to return the unit. COME ON!

Another (slightly angrier) email has been sent, will wait for the reply.... not giving up on this one.

adam.sn no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    4c7dab38
    On a side note, your 8703 didn't have gps. It would calculate your location based on triangulatuion of the towers. That's why it worked inside and why the curve or pearl won't. You need to see the sky.

Cheers
    -adam

My GPS is functioning!

... is what I said for a couple of hours yesterday. My GPS was fully functional yesterday and I thought I had found out a way to make it work. I went to bed with anticipation knowing tomorrow I would have a functional phone, but when I turned my BB on today back to the usual CRAP.

Here's how:

- I downloaded GPSed because it looks cool. It wasn't picking up GPS either, but spontaneously did last night.
    - Once GPSed was up and running BB Maps and everything else worked great.
    - Today I tried the same, no GPS satellites found.

argghh!!!

At least I know that it is a software issue and not the hardware, now only if BB would hurry up and release a patch or a fix or something!

I NEED MY MAPPING TO WORK!

I paid lots of money for this phone and I think it's rediculous that we haven't heard anything from Telus or Blackberry regarding fixing this.

Now it's working intermittently. Don't get me wrong, some GPS is better than none, but seriously... why does this have to be problematic on such a high tech device?

... rant over.

... or at least until the whole thing crashes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast