i might have an opportunity to get an unlocked 8320 and was wondering if there ... BlackBerry Curve forum

two13 no está en línea Stack level 2

UMA/WiFi calls with att?

Advertisement

i might have an opportunity to get an unlocked 8320 and was wondering if there was a way to use it the UMA/WiFi features with at&t. most notably the calling over the UMA/WiFi feature. Just trying to figure out if it would be worth it. thanks in advance.

jstodda no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241E85A8

Re: UMA/WiFi calls with att?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    No. Att has no uma servers and therefore will not work uma. You may get wifi internet browsing, but calls over uma is a t-mobile only service. This is changing from "hotspot at home" to "talk forever" featuring some new pricing and revolutionary changes to the way voip works. Routers with som cards etc. Keep posted and start looking to switch now since its a tmo exclusive!

devilsadidas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

i work for cincinnati bell, not that our lock downs are gonna be the best but... when i got the 8120 i turned off the mobile radio and only left wifi on and made calls before the uma feature was put on my account, and so have others. but todda sounds very correct. still yet it should make your internet a little faster than over the edge network.
    Last edited by devilsadidas; 02-09-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: typo

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

It's not a matter of having the feature added to your account, but the fact that AT$T doesn't offer the service, although the rumor is that they might be offering their own flavor of this by years end. As of right now, there is no UMA on AT$T.

two13 no está en línea Stack level 2

well i guess it wouldn't be worth it for me then. thanks for the replies guys.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by jstodda View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    No. Att has no uma servers and therefore will not work uma. You may get wifi internet browsing, but calls over uma is a t-mobile only service. This is changing from "hotspot at home" to "talk forever" featuring some new pricing and revolutionary changes to the way voip works. Routers with som cards etc. Keep posted and start looking to switch now since its a tmo exclusive!
    I got my new talk forever unit at home last night and hooked it up. It works beautifully with crystal clear sound. Definitely take Js's advice and keep an eye on upcoming changes from T-Mobile that will definitely change the way people think of the company.

Zo