Sitting in Chicago O'Hare with two access points available and wi-fi on new Curve will ... BlackBerry Curve forum

8320Curve no está en línea Stack level 2

UMA in O'Hare

Advertisement

Sitting in Chicago O'Hare with two access points available and wi-fi on new Curve will not connect. Talked to tmo bb support and pulled battery. Still no wi-fi. Too many already connected to their routers - possible?

Also, all settings for wi-fi are correct. Phone worked flawlessly this morning with the wi-fi in Kansas City but not here - edge only.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Kahuna5150 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Have you tried opening a webpage once you've connected to the router or are you not able to get connected at all? I'm sure you know this already, but often wifi hotspots (even free ones) require you to click an agreement to terms on their logon splash screen when you first open your browser window. No matter what you're default homepage is, their logon screen either asks for a username and password, some type of subscription for use (payment), or simply clicking "OK" on a webpage agreeing to the terms and conditions of the free service.

If you don't click this button on your browser, none of your other connections (including UMA) will work. It will continue to direct you to the logon screen until it gets the click or info it wants (the wifi hotspot).

Only thing I can think of if you're settings worked earlier at another location and nothing else has changed. I would be surprised if there were too many people logged into the wifispot at once. That would mean 100+ people in most cases to each spot. Highly unlikely in a transient environment such as an airport.

Kahuna

Thank you. Yes I did and there was no logon screen it just connected. Wifi is greyed out in the top area of the screen and edge shows. Error w0060 I think it is.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    I agree, crowding is an unlikely explanation.

Did you see others connected to those access points though? To make sure they were operational?

rachaelp no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think O'Hare has a wifi problem. I have had more than one bad day there, trying to access the Internet on both my laptop and BB. Never have that problem at other airports. Just O'Hare. Funny thing I fly out of O'Hare mostly.

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3
    I'm with Rachaelp, I have problems with the WiFi at O'Hare as well.

The other solution is to find where the T-Mobile hotspots are (usually the American Airlines Admirals Club, for instance) and get close to them.

The Wifi at ORD still sucks.

What would cause me to see a router but not connect to it? In the wifi settings area I can see that the router has been saved but there is a yellow (looks like a euro do not enter sign) in yellow

z4k
    z4k no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CC1FFF
    I was @ O'Hare the `3th and I had to go through a Log On Screen to access the net on all the Wireless Routers
    FMDT | The ORIGINAL MONKEYS!
    YAKUZA DRIFT!

mjacobi no está en línea Stack level 2
    WiFi at Kansas City International is provided by Sprint. That may have something to do with it. I live in KC and fly in/out alot. I've never been able to get my 8320 or 8120 to connect via UMA.

bobbo7915 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2435AF29
    last time i was at o' hare i had to go through a login screen on my laptop to access the wifi. the login screen didnt show up on my BB

at KC it worked perfectly - everwhere else i have tried since leaving KC it has not. how do you get it to a login screen? i am assuming that this is done via the browser? i ask because i am in an area not where i can "see" a network but it will not connect to it. i get the (same as O'Hare) prompts telling me that it is there and has a good signal but when I select it and save it it tells me that "you are not connected to so and so, would you like to save anyway. When I check my connections I can see it, but it has that little yellow icon by it and refuses to connect.

UMA use is the only (well international email as well) reason that I purchased this phone and it does not work, or I can't make it.

Thank you.

nealpolshuk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 8320Curve View Post
    Sitting in Chicago O'Hare with two access points available and wi-fi on new Curve will not connect. Talked to tmo bb support and pulled battery. Still no wi-fi. Too many already connected to their routers - possible?
    Many wireless networks require that you agree to it's "terms of use" page before alotting a public IP address and gateway to the internet. When setting up the wifi connection on your bberry curve you have the option BEFORE CLICKING THE "FINISH" button to click on a button called "Wifi hotspot login" (or something like that) button. That will get you to a page allowing you real access to the internet.

good to know. i will have to try this next time. thank you.