Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

UMA always drops. Regardless if I am at work or home. As soon as i ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jlancaster00 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b26f82

Advertisement

UMA always drops. Regardless if I am at work or home. As soon as i leave the WiFi area the call drops. So much for seamless..

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by ewvarn View Post
    What carrier are you doing this with? And is it possible to utilize UMA with AT&T if I use another carrier's OS? I'm thinking the answer to this is 'no,' but figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

Regards
    Sorry, no. UMA is carrier specific. As far as the handoff goes, I never have a problem when going UMA, but leaving UMA, yes, I lose the call. This has been the case with all of my BB's. UMA was really just a nice way for the carrier, T-Mo in my case, to offload some traffic once in a while. It's especially nice though if you live a very rural area where reception is spotty as at least at home you know you have service. T-Mo also has a nice feature where for $5 a month, you get unlimited calls when you go UMA. If you use your cell phone as your primary number, it could save you a ton of minutes and maybe some cash.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've never had a "flawless transition". Been having this problem with the 8900 and UMA hand-off with all OS versions I've used ("official" ones and all subsequent betas). Call simply drops when hand-off from UMA to EDGE or GPRS. It IS a pain, because I have a dreadful mobile signal in the house (generally 1 bar -- or none -- GPRS), so the 8900 is somewhat useless for mobile calls at home.

What's weird is that I have a GREAT UMA signal at home -- as a matter of fact I have TWO UMA sources at home: my Verizon FIOS router's WiFi component, and my T-Mobile Linksys router (for my T-Mobile@Home service). My 8900 knows how to connect to either, and when it's connected to either one, I have a great UMA call experience. But for some reason, I can be on the phone on UMA, and the phone suddenly decides to drop the UMA connection and attempt GPRS. I lose the call, and after a few minutes, the UMA connection generally reestablishes itself. This happens even when my UMA/WiFi signal is extremely strong, and it happens with both routers...

UMA is a great concept, and is wonderful when it works. Just very unstable for me so far.

mixoplex no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20F3C981
    I just got my phone. I also have a regular linkysy wrt54gl router. I installed that custom DD-wrt firmware. And put in the recommended settings. I have not stayed on the phone a while or test uma to edge calls. But so far it seems to be working pretty good.

I also have a linksysy srx4 something like that and I was told that would not work but it works on that also and I get UMA signal. ( i have 2 cable modems with 2 different routers)

Its new to me ..I left from a storm because my signal was very bad at home. So with the WIFI it works. Plus all the places i got.. Work ( has wifi ) my friends phot studio has wifi, my friends recording studio has wifi.. Plus optonline my is p have their hotspots all over plus the tmobile hotspots.. I will see if I can get some more testing done and inform yall. I also read somethng that you had to have some specific service books also...I just have the stocked phone. No upgrades to the OS

PIN/ID
    Ask
    In regards to the previous posts about the inter-access points, I went in an enabled this feature on my phone and suddenly I am able to continue my calling when going from UMA to EDGE. I had upgraded to the new .250 OS from Rogers and was still having the issue, however, after enabling that feature, the transition seems flawless. Couldn't say how or why it worked, but I am curious if it has worked for anyone else.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

exene no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21d984e7
    I've had a problem with dropped calls and the familiar "call failed" for a long time now. T-mo techs like to have you re-install OS if they can't fix the problem so it's basically no use talking to them. But this is what I was told by a T-mo sales rep; UPDATE YOUR SIM CARD. Just waltz into your local TMO store and ask them to update it. They can do it right there and you don't lose any contacts, saved sms, etc stored on ur sim card. It usually fixes the problem as the sim card may not be enabling the phone to connect to the best signal or something like that. I'm not exactly sure of the specifics but it works!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by exene View Post
    I've had a problem with dropped calls and the familiar "call failed" for a long time now. T-mo techs like to have you re-install OS if they can't fix the problem so it's basically no use talking to them. But this is what I was told by a T-mo sales rep; UPDATE YOUR SIM CARD. Just waltz into your local TMO store and ask them to update it. They can do it right there and you don't lose any contacts, saved sms, etc stored on ur sim card. It usually fixes the problem as the sim card may not be enabling the phone to connect to the best signal or something like that. I'm not exactly sure of the specifics but it works!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    SIM card should really having nothing to do with the UMA handoff, that's all contained within the BB itself. The process here is handing the call off from T-Mo's network to a Wi-Fi connection, then back to T-Mo. It's supposed to be a seamless transition, but many of us have had the problem of it losing the call between one of the transitions. Enabling this feature seems to have solved the problem for many of us. Your problem sounds like perhaps the call was being dropped due to an error in the SIM card causing T-Mo not to recognize/register it properly as an authorized card, as I can't imagine what the reps in the store could possible do to it, other then replace it.
    How to upgrade your OS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12