Is there any fix yet for calls not transfering from UMA to EDGE without hanging ... BlackBerry Curve forum

NOID no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2423EC62

Thumbs down UMA calls not transfering to edge

Advertisement

Is there any fix yet for calls not transfering from UMA to EDGE without hanging up the call?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Re: UMA calls not transfering to edge

You would think not, one call is over wifi and one is using the cell network. For it to switch wouldn't another call have to be placed? Perhaps I don't get all the UMA specifics, but isn't it pretty much a data connection? Regular voice calls don't go over EDGE, so you would not be going from data connection to data connection, you'd go from UMA data to GSM/GPRS.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    2423EC62

Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta
    You would think not, one call is over wifi and one is using the cell network. For it to switch wouldn't another call have to be placed? Perhaps I don't get all the UMA specifics, but isn't it pretty much a data connection? Regular voice calls don't go over EDGE, so you would not be going from data connection to data connection, you'd go from UMA data to GSM/GPRS.

WOW okay. Bottom line they say the calls should switch. Example your in your house make a call on UMA leave your house and your call hangs up.

I dont know about anyone else but I sometimes leave the house mid call.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Maybe a few too many acronyms in there. If that's how its advertised to work then I'm right with you. I guess it would be real crappy of them to have the call not switch.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

It is supposed to switch seemlessly both ways. But I've only found it to work drome EDGE > WiFi, not the other way. WiFi to EDGE always drops the call and seems to reset the wireless as well because as soon as it drops the call, I show no service, then GSM, then it goes back to EDGE.

PIN/ID
    2423EC62

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin
    It is supposed to switch seemlessly both ways. But I've only found it to work drome EDGE > WiFi, not the other way. WiFi to EDGE always drops the call and seems to reset the wireless as well because as soon as it drops the call, I show no service, then GSM, then it goes back to EDGE.

Same here....I'm debating just taking the phone back at this point theres so many little issues

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

Please make sure you have the Latest software for the Curve. And also look into your location, if it turns out that you are on a TMO partner tower, such as a Cingular tower the call will drop. This is a New technology and will take some time to perfect. And only a TMO tower will have the service to switch to. It also takes about 15 seconds for the switch to happen if the UMA or WIFI drops tooo suddenly the call will drop, You can have 5 bars of TMO signal in your house and if you ROuter Powers off or the internet is lost the WILL Drop.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

jwprice no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2423A566

I start calls all the time on my UMA and then leave the house and go to EDGE and I don't think any of my calls have dropped. You need to download the latest O.S. off of the T-Mobile site and install it, I think that makes a big difference.

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Same here. I leave my house goes from WIfi to EDGE quite quickly, I go check my mail 3 floors down come back up the elevator and within 15 of my door it switches right back to UMA. No drops no probs. It sounds like a hard handoff when it happens so I know when it happens. Its actually works better than when I used it 18 months ago.......
    BB8900 is mine!

PIN/ID
    2423EC62

I have the latest OS. I'm on a Tmobile tower. I have had this problem since day one. I just think I have a jankey phone

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Actually you may have an issue with your router. Some people have mentioned that changing wireless routers solved their issue with the handoff.

Zo

redmoon no está en línea Stack level 2

I tried this out the other day. Made a call on UMA and then left the house. It transferred without any issues.