Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

sow hat's the best OS to use on the curve now with t-mobile? isnt there ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Matthew_L84 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Tutorial: How to get your T-Mobile Browser. Big thanks to kasperapd!

Advertisement

sow hat's the best OS to use on the curve now with t-mobile? isnt there a UK release of the t-mobile firmware?

dif2175509 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Live4Soccer
    Sorry, I don't follow...

I've had the O2 os on my phone for weeks...I've reset and pulled out the battery on that thing so many times I'm surprised it still functions properly...I've resent enough service books to fill the Library of Congress...I was resigned to the fact that I was going to be without a browser until the end of September when T-Mo launches their 8300 in the US...

Something happened when I switched out the sim card that didn't happen before...I DID NOT have the ability to surf the net until I switched the Sim Card...and the ability to do so was IMIDIATELY after the Sim Card was switched...something in the new sim card "stimulated" the browser and t-zones to pop up on my phone out of the blue...maybe you need to install the O2 os for the "new sim card trick" to work, I don't know but I saw what I saw...old sim card, no internet...new sim card, internet...

Maybe a new Sim card with the O2 os saves you from having to manually send the service books, who knows, but the O2 os + New Sim Card seems to equal internet on t-mo with an unlocked 8300 where there was none before...
    Can someone who has spoken to a T-Mobile Blackberry Support person explain the above statement to me "...I was resigned to the fact that I was going to be without a browser until the end of September when T-Mo launches their 8300 in the US..."
    Is T-mobile launching both an 8300 model and 8320 model? How would the launch of the 8320 model help those users (me included) who have an unlocked AT&T 8300 since the 8320 software probably won't install on the 8300?

I'm fairly sure it's a Software issue and not a T-Mobile network issue since loading the O2 software will usually get the browser to show up on the device.

Can anyone explain?

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by dif2175509
    Can someone who has spoken to a T-Mobile Blackberry Support person explain the above statement to me "...I was resigned to the fact that I was going to be without a browser until the end of September when T-Mo launches their 8300 in the US..."
    Is T-mobile launching both an 8300 model and 8320 model? How would the launch of the 8320 model help those users (me included) who have an unlocked AT&T 8300 since the 8320 software probably won't install on the 8300?

I'm fairly sure it's a Software issue and not a T-Mobile network issue since loading the O2 software will usually get the browser to show up on the device.

Can anyone explain?
    Most of us will agree with you that it's a software / configuration issue. Since, as you point out, loading one OS version (O2) instead of another allows T-Mobile Curve users to be properly provisioned with all the service books and browsers, there is a critical difference in the OS versions.

That being said - it's also conceivable that T-Mobile is not allowing full provisioning for Curves at the moment, and their selective provisioning depends on some kind of feedback from the phone during the provisioning process in order to properly identify and block Curves from the process - and (this is the stretch) that somehow, the way the O2 version is put together defeats this provisioning check (pure, off the wall, speculation).

Finally, it could that the OS versions were not supposed to provide full provisioning to Curves via T-Mobile at this point, and somehow the O2 version wasn't properly crippled for some reason.

What gives us hope?

When many of us have called T-Mobile about this, we were told that AT&T currently has an exclusive on the Curve (I think it was for a few months), and that T-Mobile couldn't help right now. When I called, the customer care rep I spoke with (in Blackberry support at TMo) put me on hold for 5 mins, came back on after talking to her supervisor, and told me that they could not, in fact, support my use of the Curve on T-Mobile - and asked if I wanted her to turn of my BIS account! I told her, "no", and said that I'd take care of it myself. After this I read the forums here and learned about the O2 release, etc. In essence: the Curve has been a "hands off" issue for most of T-Mobile tech support to date, apparently since managers have been warned about helping TMo customers circumvent AT&T's exclusive contract.

The exclusive contract is ending, and T-Mobile will now be able to officially offer help to those of us with Curves. Although they will be offering the 8320 and not the 8300, I know that at least one poster mentioned that his RIM contact indicated that the issue with TMo not working with most OS upgrades will be "resolved" once the exclusive with AT&T is over. How will this happen? Not sure, of course, since it's not officially acknowledged at this point. But we can speculate on a few things. If RIM and T-Mobile are in cooperation on this, it seems likely that there could be various solutions:
    - a RIM-provided patch that would allow Curves to be provisioned properly
    - new releases (4.3.?) of the OS that fully support Curves with TMo
    - an actual 8300 (not just 8320) release of the OS for TMo
    - T-Mobile making some change on their servers so that all versions of the OS will be properly provisioned

That's as much as I know, and covers my speculation as well. I'm hoping this will work out. If not, I'll either hang on to my Curve for now and use the O2 version for now as well, or I'll sell it and go with an 8320.

dif2175509 no está en línea Stack level 2

You bring up lots of good points. It might also be RIM since they own/control most of the provisioning and messaging servers.

Does anyone know, were there similar problems when the 8800 and Pearl first came out?

mitch_martin no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_L84
    sow hat's the best OS to use on the curve now with t-mobile? isnt there a UK release of the t-mobile firmware?
    I tried the T-Mobile UK release last night with the hopes that it would allow me to get the browser but it did not work. I had to reload the O2 OS and then it worked like a champion.

big rob no está en línea Stack level 1

i tried several times and i deleted the vendor file, but i still cant download the application because it always reads xml syntax error on line 1. whats up with that?

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

I guess this thread is no longer needed, since there is a new update for service book for T-Mobile users.

Seems that way! I'm getting ready to install the copy I (TelCel) I downloaded last night. Just making a list first of everything I've got installed so I can be sure to get it all back when I reload (unlocking themes, add-on themes, fav desktop backgrounds, ringtones, etc.

talentedj no está en línea Stack level 1

Does anyone know if telenav will work with an unlocked curve. everything else works for me expect for it. I downloaded the app and its asking me for a password. when I called telenav they said my phone is not compatible?????

Quote Originally Posted by vinmontRD
    Seems that way! I'm getting ready to install the copy I (TelCel) I downloaded last night. Just making a list first of everything I've got installed so I can be sure to get it all back when I reload (unlocking themes, add-on themes, fav desktop backgrounds, ringtones, etc.
    TelCel version works just fine! Everything here... Yay!

bigd16 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have done this process and I think I did it right but was not sure. I can use my browser but it takes me only to black berrys page. the t zones browser is like the world icon and not the T symbol that I was told it was supposed to be.

Sorry but I am new to the blackberry world

thanks

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

bigd -- i believe, if you resend service books, they are there now, because of the 8320 release....have you tried that, to invoke the browser?

I got the service books (as posted a few days ago) -- but my browser icons for regular web and t-zones are both "normal" - no particular T-Mobile symbol. However both icons/browsers work perfectly...

bigd16 no está en línea Stack level 1

thats what I was wondering. any word on being able to have this like if you would have bought it from tmobile and not an unlocked curve

vinmontRD thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by bigd16
    thats what I was wondering. any word on being able to have this like if you would have bought it from tmobile and not an unlocked curve

vinmontRD thanks for your help
    Happy to help! I never would have figured this out without all the great people here who helped me - happy to spread it around. Great community.

I believe there are only two aspects to the device that you may never get to look like a "true" T-Mobile Curve:

1) the vendorID -- each carrier has their own 3-digit code, and my Curve, and most of the unlocked 8300 Curves you'll find in the US, have a vendorID = 102, which is AT&T's code.

2) the splash screen that come on when you boot up, and when you load the BB browser: this will always show the AT&T splash screen, instead of a T-Mobile screen.

I've searched, and so far nobody has found a way to modify either of these items. I'm pretty sure it's possible - but RIM has been incredibly good about keeping certain parts of their architecture secret to date from the general hacking public...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast