Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I am a certified phone whore, and have had all of the major 3 smartphone ... BlackBerry Curve forum

CrazEtooN no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245FA336

Advertisement

I am a certified phone whore, and have had all of the major 3 smartphone styles at one point or another, here is my take. First of all, if you can stomach the price, get the 8925(Tilt) over the 8525. They are similiar, but the Tilt is a more powerful device.

Palm: Stay away. There are positives, but the negatives far outweigh them.

Pros
    +Easy to use OS
    +Plethora of apps, some free, some pay
    +Nice, threaded text style
    +Touchscreen phone, but very capable using just the d-pad

Cons
    -OS is easy to use, but horribly stale
    -It WILL crash on you. A LOT!
    -Crashes happen a lot, and at the worst times... like mid call.
    -Did I mention it crashes a lot?
    -Keyboard is hit or miss. Some love it, some hate it. I didn't like it. (Palm 700p)
    -Not the peppiest thing in the world.
    -Hard to see in daylight.
    -Crashes. A lot of crashes. (See where I am going?)
    -Chunky form factor.

Windows: I like it and hate it at the same time. I would recommend this over a Palm OS device any day.

Pros
    +Insane amount of customization.
    +Insane amount of 3rd party apps.
    +Will do pretty much whatever you want it to do if you know how to make it.
    +You can confidently leave the laptop at home.

Cons
    -It's Windows. It will freeze and get slow occasionally requiring a soft reset.
    -Crashes. Not nearly as bad as the Palm, but it does happen.
    -You NEED to know how to tweak it. In other words, stay away if you're scared of messing with settings, installing fixes/apps and possibly even messing with the registry.
    -Battery hog if you aren't careful.
    -Chunky form factor on most WM devices.

Blackberry: Generally awesome with some minor headaches.

Pros
    +Messaging KING. I don't care if it's text or email, the BB wins.
    +Even though it comes across as daunting when you first start, it really is super easy to use.
    +Lots of 3rd party applications
    +Not as customizable as WM, but still pretty decent. Far, far more so than a Palm.
    +Stable, stable, stable. This OS was just built for stability. Sure, it freezes occasionally, but so rarely it is unlikely to upset you.
    +Nice form factor on the Curve.
    +Great keyboard if you have small/medium hands.

Cons
    -OS is getting stale. Not as bad as Palm, but it could use some rejuvenation.
    -Very text based, menu driven device.
    -As of posting this, you need to buy a (fairly expensive) 3rd party app to be able to create/edit documents. Supposedly, the new OS update will give use this. We shall see though.
    -Email is always converted to a text format unless you buy a 3rd party app that adds some basic HTML.
    -Keyboard can be kind of cramped if you have large hands.

That's about it. For me, the Curve and the Tilt are both great devices. I am using the Curve at the moment, and will most likely continue to do so. It sounds like you are more concerned with messaging than other power features however, so I am going to confidently say that the Curve is most likely the device for you.

Data plans are pretty much a requirement with a BlackBerry as well. When you buy the phone, they will pretty much tell you that you have no choice but to sign up for a data plan when you buy it due to the features of the device. Believe it or not, this is actually done for your benefit. As far as I am concerned, you have two options when it comes to buying any PDA style phone, and those options are to either get an unlimited data plan, or get a complete data block. If you don't do one or the other, just understand that you could potentially end up with a phone bill in the thousands.

If you do a data block however, you are gimping the most useful features of the phone, which in the case of the BlackBerry is email first, followed by internet access.

Anyway, the simple answer is: You need, what At&t calls, the BlackBerry Personal Plan. It is $30 a month and you get unlimited data usage for internet surfing and email through the BlackBerry Internet Service. What is BlackBerry Internet Service? In short, it gives you "push" access to your IMAP or POP email accounts like Yahoo or Gmail, meaning that as soon as you receive an email, it is "pushed" to the phone at the same time.

I hope I didn't confuse more than you already were... If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

kingsham no está en línea Stack level 2
    okay thanks guys! i will probably get the unlimited data plan w/ unlimited messaging...its now 46 bucks a month...its a lil expensive...but i can afford it

mattdoucet no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301CB12F
    I'm faithful to the pearl. I ve played with the curve and its just too bulky. I like the slick sexy design of the pearl. If another one came out I'd grab it right away. I know there are some users that don't like the suretype but I can bang off emails as quick as anyone with his thing. It becomes like second nature to type

i like the pearl..can anyone give me a pro/cons of the curve vs. the pearl...

PIN/ID
    245FA336
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsham View Post
    i like the pearl..can anyone give me a pro/cons of the curve vs. the pearl...
    Well, they are essentially the same phone, but they do have minor differences.

Curve

Pros:
    Better battery
    Better camera
    Full qwerty keyboard

Cons:
    Larger device
    Not quite as slick looking, but that's a matter of opinion I suppose

Pearl

Pros:
    Smaller device
    Prettier form factor, again, this is a matter of opinion
    SureType software. This is subjective because some people love it, and some hate it

Cons:
    Battery not as good
    Camera not as good
    Doesn't have full keyboard
    SureType software. Read above comment ^^

For me, there is no comparison, it's Curve all the way. That is my opinion however. The best thing I can suggest is that you head to your local OFFICIAL At&t or T-Mobile store and play with both. I say official because 9 times out of 10, the authorized retail stores don't have working handsets to test, but the official stores do.

i played with a pearl...friday night...and played with a curve tonight...the curve was a lil slow to respond to the trackball...and the keys are kinda small and clicky....but i like the full qwerty keyboard...and its actually quite small...so ima probably get it...thanks for all the advice guys and gals!

pegb856 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A Colata
    ok thanks for that...i understand that the site would be biased towards my question but your insight and experience with both devices is much appriciated...the curve looks so much more stable...i liked the pearl...its real small but the curve looks ballin.

on another quick question
    curve vs. the palm treo 680(palm os)/750(wm)

b/c my friend has a 680(that was supposed to be mine) and i really like the way the text messaging is set up...especially the way that it makes the messages look like a chatline...lol

anyother opinions?

I had a 680 for a very short time, the message threading is awesome, push mail worked well but not as well as BB, but the keyboard was difficult for me (I have nails and the keys are dome shaped and my nails slid off) and lastly but mostly the Treo 680 had some major stability issues. Check around on the net such as HoFo etc. the 680 has some known issues.

I tried a couple WM phones before getting a BB and did not like the instabilities of the OS. I then purchased my 1st BB (7130c) via Ebay unlocked and did not even have BB data and quickly became a BB lover. The OS is incredibly stable and menus are easy to navigate, screens crisp and clear, fantastic speaker phone and call quality.

I was very smitten with that phone but missed having a camera, so I bought an unlocked Pearl on ebay. It too was a great little phone and after using it a few months I started yearning for a qwerty keyboard which I had never used. Again I started checking ebay for something I might be interested in, that's when I purchased the treo (I had it only 2 weeks and resold it). Next I ordered an unlocked TMo Dash, the keyboard was nice, screen great, call quality good, WM OS behaved better on this phone than previous ones but I still yearned for my BB OS, so even though I had this phone almost a month, most of the time my sim was in my pearl. Finally I just bit the bullet and ordered an 8300 Curve and while I was waiting on it to arrive my provider finally launched BB services which I promply subscribed to.

Ohh the moment I had been waiting for had finally arrived a fully functional Blackberry in all its glory. 3 days later my curve arrived and I fell in love all over again, (I have had 11 different phones in the last 14 months-9 of which were smart phones and for me nothing compares to a Blackberry). Two months later I upgraded again to the 8310 and am loving it even more, hands down it is the best smartphone I have ever had and the GPS works great. The keyboard is top notch and although the BB OS is very strange to most people when they first get it, in no time it grows on you and everything seems so simple, which it is. The stability is unmatched in any phone I have ever had (smart or not).

I'm an open minded person but no comparison in MHO between a BB and WM or Palm. Blackberry is by far the choice for my needs.

I know I tend to ramble on but hope this helps anyway.

Happy Berrying!

luckasaaron no está en línea Stack level 1
    i played with a pearl...friday night...and played with a curve tonight...the curve was a lil slow to respond to the trackball...and the keys are kinda small and clicky....but i like the full qwerty keyboard...and its actually quite small...so ima probably get it...thanks for all the advice guys and gals!
    It could be that you were experiencing this because of a difference in the sensitivity settings on the Curve. You can set it high enough to where if you look at it sideways it'll start scrolling. I'm not positive but pretty sure they are the same assembly, so settings should be the only difference.

i typed on an older bb with suretype...its stupidly easy...just like the T9 on my WM and Sony Phones...but i gotta get the curve....idk..

should i get the data plan...or just unlimited texting?

also...could i get the media max plan on it and get the unlimited text and internet...or would i have to get teh BB plan...b/c i dont reallly plan on using the email features that much?

PIN/ID
    245FA336
    They are most likely going to require you to get a data plan, though some reps will let you go without it. Getting a BlackBerry with no data plan is sort of like running a marathon in dress shoes. Sure, you can do it, but aren't you gimping yourself a bit?

Same thing applies here. A BlackBerry is a data intensive phone, and many of its main features and selling points are based around data usage, like email, internet browsing, instant messaging, mapping programs, RSS feeds, etc. Sure, you can get by without them, but why get this kind of device if that's what you're going to do?

There is also the concept of temptation. If you have these features, chances are you are going to want to use them, even if it's only once in awhile. That said, pay per use data is EXPENSIVE if you aren't super, and I mean SUPER careful about your usage. That's the reason most reps will require you get a data plan with the purchase of a BlackBerry; to save you a bill that could potentially end up being thousands of dollars. The alternative to this is a complete data block, but that will not only restrict you from using some of the best features of a BlackBerry, but will also prevent you from sending MMS messages.

The choice is ultimately yours to make, but I highly, highly suggest getting a data plan with your BlackBerry. If you really don't want to, and T9 style texting doesn't bother you, just go with a Razor, or something of that variety.

EDIT: You can't get the MediaNet style plans on a BlackBerry. Those plans are for regular phones; the minimum data plan you can get for a BlackBerry is the BlackBerry Personal plan (on At&t anyway) which runs $30 a month.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 03-11-2008 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Added info to answer new question

thanks...for the info...

u talked with my father...my job doesnt pay alot...as im only 16 and in school still....ima get the curve...but ima just get unlimited text...and ima see if i can have the net disable on the phone...until i get enough money for a data plan...plus we have a no phone rule at skool...so i really arent suppposed to have...lol

ET436 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Curve 8310 that's what you should get not because I own one but because it's very good at what it does.

idk...i think after really weighing the options...the AT&T 8525 has the most power for the money(ie...3G [FONT=Times New Roman]UMTS/HSDPA...wifi...) but i think that the wifi was the real curve killer for me....[/FONT]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast