I finally figured out how to store music files on my Curve 8310 but can't ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Zixblade no está en línea Stack level 1

Trouble with Audio Files

Advertisement

I finally figured out how to store music files on my Curve 8310 but can't seem to figure out where they are "going". Let me explain...

Here is what I did...

I connect my device
    Open Windows Explorer
    Browse to the newly added E: drive
    On the root of E: I find the Blackberry directory and a BBThumbs.dat file
    Inside the Blackberry dir I find 5 more directories: music, ringtones, videos, pictures, and system(hidden)

Seeing that those directories (minus the system dir) match up to the four options under Media on my device, I expected any files I copied to those locations via Windows to appear in those locations on the BB device (silly me). So, to test, I copied a couple of random .wma files to to E:\BlackBerry\music. I disconnected my BB (safely) and opened Media\music and did not see the .wma file I had copied there.

Before I forget...Mass storage is turned ON.

I also tried put .wma files in E: and in E:\BlackBerry.

My grand goal is to be able to listen to music while I work out. Is that within the scope of Blackberry functionality?

Thanks.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    First, can you see them on the SD cad if you connect back to the PC? Normally just 1 or 2 files should appear right away, but loading multiple files it can sometimes take several minutes for the BB to see everything you added. Also if on your BB you go to Media/Menu/Explore and explore the media card can you see and play the files?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Hey Azstar! See my answers here in blue...

First, can you see them on the SD cad if you connect back to the PC?
    Yup. They have stayed there through several connections/disconnections.

Also if on your BB you go to Media/Menu/Explore and explore the media card can you see and play the files?
    Yes sir. I can see/play all of them.

I guess I can just play them that way. Would like to be able to shuffle them and such, but it's not a big deal.

...hmmm spoke too soon.

Some of the songs play and some return a "The media being played is of an unsupported format." message. All files are .wma but they are from different sources. The ones that play are ones that I grabbed from CDs and the ones that wont play were purchased somewhere online.

Try restarting your BB, then click on media and leave it alone for a few minutes then click music and see if they appear(make sure you are not connected to PC in mass storage mode) It really shouldn't take that long, but maybe your BB is having a brainfart
    Twitter? My Apps List

Restarted, clicked media then left it alone (I know how my kids feel when I tell them not to touch something).

I still don't see the music files though.

Note: bouncing it off the wall didn't help either.

I wonder if the reason some songs play and others do not is because of licensing? Could there be a licensing problem because I'm moving it from one device (PC) to another (BB)?

That would be a problem, if it's DRM protected the BB can't play it. Try some mp3 files you rip yourself or something like amazon mp3 which has no DRM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

DRM...FTL. Oh well, it's only a couple of thousand songs.

Anyone have any ideas about being able to play the music files from within the "Media" interface?

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7
    Zix--I've been downloading and playing music both on my 8300, 8310 and 8900.....I always rip my CD's to mp3 format and the numerous songs I've downloaded from Amazon are already in mp3 format. To improve the audio......most of the songs have also been run through Audacity (a free down load) to improve volume and/or tweak the sequence of phrases, notes, starting location of playback, etc. I used to use the Desktop Manager with the media management tool but have since discarded that option as windows drag and drop works especially well. I usually place the songs I am about to transfer to my device in a folder on the desktop then enable mass storage on the device THEN connect it to the laptop. You may want to create a new folder on your SD card.....my device song folder is titled "Oldies"......after doing that....I simply move the files from my laptop folder to "Oldies" using Windows Explorer. You should see the files in Oldies after this move and be able to play them as well. After doing this......disconnect your BB and do a battery pull (alt key+right shift+delete--all pressed concurrently).....this has always helped me to "see" the newly downloaded songs in my device media player. Hope this helps.....
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

Quote Originally Posted by BestWitted View Post
    Zix--I've been downloading and playing music both on my 8300, 8310 and 8900.....I always rip my CD's to mp3 format and the numerous songs I've downloaded from Amazon are already in mp3 format. To improve the audio......most of the songs have also been run through Audacity (a free down load) to improve volume and/or tweak the sequence of phrases, notes, starting location of playback, etc. I used to use the Desktop Manager with the media management tool but have since discarded that option as windows drag and drop works especially well. I usually place the songs I am about to transfer to my device in a folder on the desktop then enable mass storage on the device THEN connect it to the laptop. You may want to create a new folder on your SD card.....my device song folder is titled "Oldies"......after doing that....I simply move the files from my laptop folder to "Oldies" using Windows Explorer. You should see the files in Oldies after this move and be able to play them as well. After doing this......disconnect your BB and do a battery pull (alt key+right shift+delete--all pressed concurrently).....this has always helped me to "see" the newly downloaded songs in my device media player. Hope this helps.....

Thanks Best. That does help. Now I'll just have to quit my job and give away my kids in order to have enough time to do all this.

Seriously...the battery pull did the trick. I can see/play/shuffle etc songs using the Media interface.

I still can't play a few a songs due to DRM, but it's not a big deal. All I want to do is be able to drown out that gawd-awful music they play the gym while I work out.

Again...thanks to everyone for their responses. Truly appreciated!